Anybody know of a good PaintCleaner?????

I went on deployment for 7 months, and I ended up with my car's paint dull and with shiny spots in between, as if waterspots were protecting the paint from the weather. This is mainly on the top surfaces, hood, trunk (the worst) and top. I don't want to pay too much money to detail my car, I've tried the washNguard oxygone, but did not work. Also, Maguiars #1, did not work either. I was thinking about trying some of the stuff the detail shops use. Its some for of a liquid, does anybody know what its called?? Also, would Turtle wax rubbing compound "heavy duty" do the trick? Thanks.

Reply to
ElGalanazo

Ready to see a post get slammed???

Use brake fluid to remove the oxidation!

RELAX EVERYONE...and listen...

Wash the entire vehicle! Do not pour the brake fluid directly on the paint, dribble it onto a clean soft rag. Don't wet the rag with it, just moisten in the center of a quarter folded rag. Wipe it onto the panel, hood, roof, wherever, in the same way you would hand wax. Be sure that the entire panel is covered with an even glaze of the fluid. Rubbing it in the same as hand waxing. After about 5-10 minutes, hand buff it(again) just like hand waxing. You should see an improvement in the shine of the paint when your done with the first application. Repeat up to 3 times before a thorough washing with Dawn(or similar grease cutting soap). Be sure to hand wash to get the fluid off. One of those wool wash mitts works best. You can do it again if the oxidation is that bad.

This is a technique that has no rest period. Too much fluid and/or too much time can and will eat the paint. If the paint is cracked, it wont work.

Use true Carnauba wax for the ultimate in protection after you get the oxidation removed.

DO NOT do this to Clear Coat paint!!!

Okay...Let the slamming begin...

Reply to
Shades

I'm not going to slam you on this Shades because, while I know that brake fluid is corrosive, I also know that you can use things for purposes that they were never intended for (I worked in a chem. lab for a few years and did some strange things). I might even try this on one of my old vehicles someday.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~

Reply to
Rich B

Wear Gloves. Brake fluid is carcinogenic and penetrates skin.

-JD

Reply to
John D

Get a clay bar and follow the instructions.

If its not clear coat, soft scrub works well, its of lesser abrasion then any rubbing compound I know off, its designed for fiiberglass gel coats. Car needs a a good wash and then a wax job after words. But then thats true of any rubbing compound. If its clear coat I dont have any suggestions, check the dealership.

Brake fluid is an excellelent paint remover.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Okay.

#1 you are a crazy person :)

#2 what are the chances this guys car DOESN'T have a base/clear paint job? #3 there are lots of products that can SAFELY be used to polish paint. Even clear coat. Repeat #1 #4 what happens to the paint over time after this "treatment"?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

#4...What paint ?

Reply to
kevin weaver

Yes I am!

50/50 from where I am sitting, thats why I said to not use it on clear coat.

I have seen this done on HIGH dollar paint jobs on daily drivers and I thought that guy was NUTZ! Till I found out that the paint job was 12yrs old and that he has been doint it for 6 yrs. The paint looked AWESOME. So I tried it on a couple vehicles I had, and even a Suburban tailgate that I had laying around...It was from a '75, red, and VERY oxidized! All of em turned our GREAT. I knew the tailgate was red, but didnt realize it was such an awesome red! The tailgate is still in my shed, and the paint still looks good. It would look great, but my shed isnt exactly weather proof and I never waxed the tailgate. Both the vehicles too. They both were beaters, so they got retired to parts vehicles. Its been 4yrs, and the paint is still there with no degradation to it!

See reply to #3...

Reply to
Shades

The shop where I painted the car about two years ago said they put a clear coat, I doubt that was a good quality clear coat, or if it even had one. The sides of the car are like mirror, the top is what got messed up. I'll try this, thanks to everyone.

Reply to
ElGalanazo

If it is clear coat, DON'T try the brake fluid buff, PLEASE!

Find an inconspicuous area and rub it lightly with some fine sandpaper. If you get a white powder on the sandpaper, its clear coat. If you get the paint color, its not clear coat.

If its clear coat, DON'T try the brake fluid buff, PLEASE...

Reply to
Shades

Join and post your question here:

Autumn

???

Reply to
Shades

Wow!!! this shit works. I tried it and the paint came back to life. Thanks a lot, I would have never gotten this off my car without paying 80+ to detail. Thanks.

Reply to
ElGalanazo

;-)

Reply to