A40D rebuild question

I have an '85 Celica with a busted A40D.

I have the rebuild kit already and the ATSG manual to fix it. I don't have the special service tools though. Has anyone (reading this newsgroup) purchased these to do this rebuild? Are they outrageously expensive?

Is it a pretty straight-forward rebuild or any pitfalls to watch for?

Reply to
Nza

OTC supplies the SST's for Toyota in North America. Check out their web site at otctools.com. The SST's make the job go a lot more quickly.

Pre-soak the clutch packs while you are working on the rest of the transmission.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks, Ray, for the link and the info about the clutches!

Reply to
Nza

You're welcome! (BTW, pre-soaking the clutch packs is a pretty old trick).

Reply to
Ray O

i noticed after i read your message when i looked in the ATSG guide for this transmission to get the SST numbers, that it tells you to soak the clutches in several places.. lol

Reply to
Nza