tranny rebuild

OK, so I got a rebuild kit for the AX15 in my Wrangler. I figured while I had the t/case out to fix the shift forks, I might just as well do the tranny. Called the service manger at our sister dealership(DCJ)and apparently some sticky fingered mechanic has carried off the unit repair manual I need. I poked around a bit on Doug's site, since he had the t/case info I needed, but couldn't find anything. Anyone else got the teardown instructions or a parts breakdown diagram for this tranny? I've done a bunch of top loaders but never one that comes apart in "slices", and I need a clue or two.

Reply to
Old Crow

Assuming you have the '94 YJ with 6 banger, I have the .pdf parts manual. I suspect Doug has the same one, it's easier for him to send you a copy. I also have (???) the .pdf for the service manual in FRENCH. And even though everyone thinks they are trash, the Chilton's Wrangler

87 to 94 service manual (ISBN 0801985358) is very detailed on the tranny rebuild: 16 pages with plenty of details on shim clearances and other crucial stuff. That manual is probably out of print but Amazon lists some new and used copies.

Have fun!!

Reply to
RoyJ

Might not be the exact one, but nothing really changed.

Gonna have to look around a bit. The AX15 was also used in the ZJ. But that book just talks about taking it out, not repairing. I do have a parts breakout with numbers.

Parts sheet

The book (23 Meg!) I cut out the other stuff, it was MUCH larger
Let me know when you get that, I don't like to keep a lot of "stuff" online. :)

Reply to
DougW

Fixed that. Forgot to compress. (3.27M) It's just the first part.

Reply to
DougW

I don't know what Chilton's manual you have, but mine has very detailed instructions on how to get the thing out and back in so you can change the clutch. No rebuild sections on either the trans or the t/case.

Reply to
Old Crow

Got it, thanks. All I really needed was how to get it apart. If I can get it apart, I can get it back together. Glad it's supposed to rain this weekend, the weather this week has been so nice I'm jones'n for a bike ride. Now I'll stay home and finish up the Jeep. Got the t/case done last weekend and the new clutch hung off the flywheel. I've got a new hydraulic system for the clutch too(came as one piece, m/c, line, and slave, all pre-bled and ready to go).

An opinion question: Book calls for 75w-90 GL-5 gear lube for the tranny. Being a GM tech, I have access to GM synthetic syncromesh fluid. It carries the 75w-90 GL-5 rating. I think it'll work fine. How about you? All bearings and seals in the trans will be new with the exception of the needle beaing inside the 5th gear counter gear, which is in good shape anyway.

Reply to
Old Crow

There were a couple of different Chilton's manuals with very similar titles. One was great, the other was miserable. The ISBN in question had

16 pages with detailed data on tolerances, shim packs and such.

Reply to
RoyJ