AC Fan not working, Can it cause overheating?

Hello all,

In my Toyota Cressida 91, the AC fan is not working. I will check today the connection and fuses. The main fan (between engine and radiator) works fine.

As of now, i can drive the car for hours with the AC on without any issues. However if i start making stops like in traffic, the car start overheating. Mind this is only happens if i drive the car for hours.

My question is: If the AC fan is not working, can it cause overheating?

Thanks

Reply to
xsamarix

YES, when you run your air conditioning the condenser in front of your radiator gets very hot. This causes your coolant temperature to rise. If the single cooling fan cannot keep enough air flowing through the condenser and radiator, your engine will overheat. Plus if enough air is not flowing through the condenser to keep it cool, the pressure in your AC system will get very high. This could damage your AC compressor.

Reply to
bbtaco

When you say "AC fan" if you're referring to an auxiliary radiator/condenser fan, the answer is "yes." You may not have another problem.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yes, escpcially when going slow. At freeway speeds -- any speed above 40ish, really -- the Aux Fan doesn't do much, indeed it may not even run, but when you are sitting in stop 'n go traffic, stopped mostly, then the fan is very important.

There isn't very much magic in the fan circuit. You can check the fan itself with some jumpers, just connect one fan lead to the battery and the other to ground and the fan should run if it isn't worn out. If the fan runs, then you have trouble with a switch somewhere, if the fan doesn't run then the fan itself is toast.

Reply to
J Strickland