Air condition fault on Avensis

Hi,

the airco on my Avensis '98 has stopped working. There is light in the button when turned on but the airco does not engage. The electromagnetic clutch does not engage (no click sound) and the rev does not increase in idle which normally happens when turning on the airco.

I tried to look for blown fuses as the first diagnostics. According to the (very unhelpful) manual there are two fuses named airco. One large (40 A) in the fuse box in the engine compartment and one smaller (5 A) which I have not managed to locate!

I have searched high and low for a wiring diagram but have failed finding one.

Anybody has any good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

S=F8ren

Reply to
skhelsted

the airco on my Avensis '98 has stopped working. There is light in the button when turned on but the airco does not engage. The electromagnetic clutch does not engage (no click sound) and the rev does not increase in idle which normally happens when turning on the airco.

I tried to look for blown fuses as the first diagnostics. According to the (very unhelpful) manual there are two fuses named airco. One large (40 A) in the fuse box in the engine compartment and one smaller (5 A) which I have not managed to locate!

I have searched high and low for a wiring diagram but have failed finding one.

Anybody has any good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Søren

*************** The air conditioner has a built in safety that prevents it from operating if it is low on refrigerant. Based on the age of your vehicle, if it has never had a refrigerant recharge, it may need one. If you apply 12 volts to the AC clutch, and it engages, look at the sight glass in the receiver/drier in front of the condenser. If you see foam, then the system needs to be recharged.
Reply to
Ray O