Alternator Question

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to Toyota as well... I have an alternator question for a 1999 Tercel, and I hope someone can help me... I just changed my alternator (for a good rebuilt directly form the dealer) because the battery was overcahrging (around 17 Volts) and the Battery Light was on the the dash. The battery light was still on, so I figured that the battery was finnished so I bought a new one at Costco.

Now the battery light still comes on intermittently, when I rev the engine it stops but it comes back on at idle. I discovered that in the

3 wire harness that plugs into the alt, the "S" wire is cut just before the connector but if I giggle it it sometimes is OK. Do you think that that's what's causing my Battery light top come on? What does the "S" stand for, I assume that "IG"= Ignition and "L" = Light. What does that "S" terminal do exactly???

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
eric.chalifoux

One of the more technically gifted may be able to give you a REAL answer, but my guess would be that "S" means Stator, or the winding that does NOT move inside the housing.

I can say with reasoned accuracy, that if wiggling this wire solves the problem ,that it is cut as you say or corroded at the other end. Trace it back. If it's the wire I think it is, it's the lug with the rubber cap, right?

You should be able to get a replacement anywhere for a few bucks, or from a wrecker.

Good luck. Maybe someone better informed will give you a more definitive answer.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I "googled" the following question (what is the S connection on an alternator) and from the links that came up, I am sure the answer will be in there somewhere. Good luck. rq

Reply to
QQQQ

I think that the S wire tells the voltage regulator whether to charge the battery or not. If I am correct, and wiggling it solves the problem, the alternator would overcharge because of the voltage drop from the bad wire.

If you decide to splice the wire, solder the connection and use heat shrink tubing to repair the insulation.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the advice... I just went to the wrecker to pick-up a wiring harness, I'll install it right now and I'll keep you posted.

Eric

Ray O a =E9crit :

Reply to
eric.chalifoux

Hello everybody,

I just replaced the wire with the > Thanks for the advice... I just went to the wrecker to pick-up a wiring

Reply to
chaf

Ray cures another...

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I think the OP had the right idea, he just wanted to be sure...

Reply to
Ray O