Any ideas on the likely problem - OBDII code P1130

Have a 2000 Toyota Sienna ( 6 cyc engine)

Is running fine and no change in gas mileage but am getting an OBDII problem code P1130. (Mass air flow sensor)

Checked for leaks and since it was about time replaced air filter then cleared the code. It stayed off for a bit then came back on.

Before I create new problems trying to fix it thought I'd check to see if this is a standard problem with Toyota 6 cyclinders and if there was a standard fix

Thanks for any advice,

Terry

Reply to
Terry Smith

Those engines do have a rep for bad mass airflow sensors. If you take the sensor out and look inside the tube that sticks in the airstream, you'll see a very fine little wire about an inch up inside. That's the sensing wire, and if there is any crap on it it will cause some errant readings. I've seen little bits of fibre from old air filters caught up in there that can be easily extracted with tweezers. I've also had spotty success spraying a solvent based cleaner inside the tube. You'll be replacing it anyway, so if the sensing wire breaks while you try to clean it, you can at least say you tried.

Reply to
qslim

Good blast of carb cleaner i think id go for, should de-grease it and blow away any fibres that arent really well stuck. After that you're down to elec faults.

Reply to
Coyoteboy