Anyone want to flex their diag skills on this one?

There is an interesting one at my shop. We have a 1MZ-FE in a Highlander (an

01, I think) that was just rebuilt. I don't know what the circumstances of the build were, but I know the pistons were out. Now, apparently it started up fine and idles/runs without any obvious problem, but the data list shows that it is running super super super lean. Here are some figures from the list that I remember (figs. are @ idle)

MAF:1.86 gm/sec Coolant temp: 186F AFS bank1: 3.70 AFS bank2: 3.86 Short fuel trim #1:19.4% Long fuel trim #1: 52.4% (wow!) Short fuel trim #2: 19.4% Long fuel trim #2: 52.4% (holy crap!) Total FT#1: 1.52 Total FT#2: 1.52

02s: .1v Cylinder #1 misfire: 0% ""2: 0% ""3: 0% ""4: 0% ""5: 0% ""6: 0%

The parenthetical superlatives were added by me, by the way. Someone switched out the MAF sensor with a new unit first just to see, pulled the EFI fuse, and the numbers climbed right back into the clouds in a couple of minutes. There are no audible vacuum or exhaust leaks, and we did a propane test around the intake manifold to verify. Vacuum hoses have been triple-checked for cracks and routing, with no problem found. All injectors are cycling, and plugs are new. No signs of a misfire exist. I did open the airbox, though, while it was running, and I heard a rythmical pumping leading into the intake. Sounds similar to uneven engine pumping that comes with one or more inoperative cylinders. A manifold vacuum reading also shows a slightly fluctuating reading between 19 and 23 in/hg. Hmmm. We also did the AF active test (switching between -12.5% and +25% trim). During the lean cylce, both AF sensors showed 4.00v, yet the rich cycle only brought them down to 3.3v (which is where they should be in the first place). So anyway, who the hell knows. The thing is desperately trying to give itself more fuel, but it just ain't clicking like it should. Any takers? MDT? Tegger?

Qslim

You didn't mention anything about verifying cam timing. Try a timing light for quick verification that timing is close to normal. The only

*single* valve timing problem that could cause both banks to run poorly would be that the crank was off a tooth (in relation to the cams) on installation or it slipped a tooth at first startup. It appears that both cams are aligned (to each other) properly. I suppose you have P0171 and P0174 codes with that kind of lean-ness...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I did neglect to mention that, you're right. I pulled the front VC and confirmed that bank2 cams are aligned, and someone has confirmed proper crank timing.

Qslim

I still think that the most likely cause is Tbelt valve timing. I would suggest someone else look at it for a second opinion.

Other than that, how about a loose EFI ground on the intake manifold?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Sounds to me your problem is either in a bad ground or ECU...but im no expert on that sort of thing.

Reply to
Josh

Also I take it you checked Fuel Pressure Readings throughout the driving 'modes' ?

Reply to
Josh