Auto Tranny Dipstick Hard to Insert

This has been a problem as far back as I can remember. It's very difficult to replace/insert the transmission dipstick. It comes out easily, but at about 2/3rds of the way in it hits something and the stick bends. I jab and jab again and again and it finally goes all the way in, but sometimes I have to do this so many times I think it isn't ever going to go past the obstruction.

Is this a common problem? Is there a fix for it?

Reply to
jim evans

Have you tried rotating the dipstick 90 degrees when it sticks?

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your reply. Yes.

The dipstick has an handle and words on it that indicate the correct orientation, but I have tried turning it around and it's either worse or no better.

Incidentally, this is a 1994 Camry 6 cyl.

Reply to
jim evans

The dipstick in that vintage Camry 6 cylinder is very difficult to re-insert.

The trick to getting the dipstick back in is to rotate the dipstick a little at a time, no more than a quarter turn at a time, then trying to jam the dipstick down the tube until it jams again, where you twist and jam some more. Do not pay attention to the printing on the dipstick handle, except to give a point of reference as you are rotating the dipstick.

Reply to
Ray O

I haven't tried that. Thanks.

Reply to
jim evans

I don't know why Toyota didn't use a more flexible dipstick, like a cable, which would be more flexible and easier to insert.

Reply to
Ray O

If their cars were perfect, there would be no problems or questions from owners, and this newsgroup would turn into nothing but a forum for politics.

Wait a minute.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good one Joe!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I always wonder who watches the human factors at some of the car companies. My old Nissan Frontier was a perfect example of inconsistencey. The engine oil dipstick was a disaster. It was made front a flat section of stainless steel had several weird bends and the actual part you grabbed was at a weird angle to the direction of insertion. On the other side of the engine comaprtment the automatic transmission disp stick was a marvel of simplicity. It was made from a realtively stiff cable with a die cast end piece that included the appropriate markings. It easily slide in. I've seen this type of dip stick used for engine oil as well. I can't understand why Nissan used the easily inserted dip stick on the automatic transmission, which is rarely checked and the hideous to insert dip stick for the engine oil which is frequently checked. I always thought the automatic transmission dip stick designer should have been transferred to the engine department.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

And why some people think that the engine oil dipstick hole on the Nissan D21 is where the ATF should go. My friend wondered why his engine oil was red.

1993 Ford Escort 1.9L engine has the engine oil pan located exactly in front of a suspension bushing, making it impossible to use a ratchet and socket. If they had moved the plug even 1/2" anywhere else, they'd fit fine. This car also requires removing the ignition coil pack to change a 3" heater hose.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

My Honda lawnmower has the cable type dip stick, and it is a straight shot only 3 or 4 inches long. The design is simple, and automakers should use it whenever there are twists and bends in the dipstick instead of trying to save a nickel or dime on the sheet metal type.

Reply to
Ray O