Automatic transaxle fluid change on a Corolla

Hello,

I bought a Haynes manual for my 2003 Corolla. It explains how to do change the automatic transaxle fluid and filter. It says the car should be warmed up to a normal temperature so the sludge and sediments come out better.

I'm concerned about getting burned. If the plug is similar to the oil pan, it won't come out all the way after the thread part is removed. I change the oil when the car is cold.

Can someone advice? Is there a way to minimize the risk? Maybe an extension to the rachet, gloves, etc. My concern is hot fluid falling along the gloves will ultimately burn me.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
PCman.64306025

snipped-for-privacy@bloglines.com wrote in news:00eb908c-2674-4f96-8b1a- snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

That's for the engine oil. You can drain the tranny fluid when it's cold.

Tranny can be done the same way.

Reply to
Tegger

Put a rag between your hand and the drain bolt.

Just hold the bolt against the threads as you unscrew it until you feel it come to the end of the threads, then quickly move it out of the way.

14mm wrench, remove the drain bolt, drain out pan contents (about 3 quarts), replace drain bolt, refill with 3 quarts of fluid that is specified by the stamping on the dipstick. Preferably Toyota. Good luck.
Reply to
user

Wrap a rag or paper towel around the cuff area of the glove to soak up any fluid that drips down?

You may be interested in comparing this (for a 2004 Corolla, but should be close enough) to your Haynes manual:

beerspill

Thank you for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate them.

Reply to
PCman.64306025