04 V6 AWD Vue - Transaxle fluid

Where is the dipstick for checking the transaxle fluid? My owners manual has a nice description on how to check the fluid level on Page 5-26 and references Page 5-12 to find the location of the dipstick. The V6 diagram is actually on Page 5-14 but has no reference to the transaxle dipstick location.

Thanks in advance, Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

Hi, Howard, The last time I checked an automatic trans fluid level, the dipstick was actually a part of the cap. Might that be where yours is? Good luck!

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked with a local Saturn service department. The 04 VUE V6 transmission fluid level cannot be checked from under the hood. The car has to be put on lift and a plug removed from the transmission from under the car. The owners manual is wrong.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

Sounds like this is a manual transmission. Specifying the trans would have helped get you a better reply.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob,

No, it is an automatic. Manual transmissions were/are not available with the V6 engine! Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

Odd that there is no easy way to check trans fluid level from the engine compartment. If this is indeed correct then it sounds like a poor design to me.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
blah blah

I've looked several times but I'll try again.

The service manager at the local Saturn dealer told me that the transmission could only be checked while the car is on a lift by removing a plug on the side of the transmission. He also claimed that Saturn failed to update the owner's manual when they switched to the Honda drive train in

2004. This doesn't sound true because the manual does refer to the 3.5L V6.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

You are correct, I found it! The dipstick is hard to see because it has a black loop handle. It is short and is located low just behind the lower radiator fan on the left side (drivers side) of engine. The only markings on the dipstick are two small holes near the bottom of the dipstick.

I'll show the Saturn service manager when I take the car in for service.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Slomer

Notice

Too much or too little fluid can damage the transaxle. Too much can mean=20 that some of the fluid could come out and fall on hot engine or exhaust=20 system parts, starting a fire. Too little fluid could cause the=20 transaxle to overheat. Be sure to get an accurate reading if you check=20 the transaxle fluid.

Wait at least 30 minutes before checking the transaxle fluid level if=20 you have been driving:

  • When outside temperatures are above 90=B0F (32=B0C). * At high speed for quite a while. * In heavy traffic - especially in hot weather. * While pulling a trailer.

To get the right reading, the fluid should be at normal operating=20 temperature, which is 180=B0F to 200=B0F (82=B0C to 93=B0C).

Get the vehicle warmed up by driving about 15 miles (24 km) when outside=20 temperatures are above 50=B0F (10=B0C). If it's colder than 50=B0F (10=B0C)= , you=20 may have to drive longer.

Checking the Fluid Level (Automatic Transaxle with 3.5L V6 Engine)

Prepare your vehicle as follows:

  • Park your vehicle on a level place. * Warm the engine to normal operating temperature until the electric=20 radiator fan turns on at least once. * With the parking brake applied, place the shift lever in PARK (P). * With your foot on the brake pedal, move the shift lever through=20 each gear range, pausing for about three seconds in each range. Then,=20 position the shift lever in PARK (P).

Then, turn off the engine and, follow these steps:

The transaxle fluid dipstick handle is the yellow loop. See Engine=20 Compartment Overview for more information on location.

  1. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag or paper towel. 2. Push it back in all the way, wait three seconds and then pull it=20 back out again. 3. Check both sides of the dipstick, and read the lower level. The=20 fluid level must be between the upper mark and the lower mark. 4. If the fluid level is in the acceptable range, push the dipstick=20 back in all the way.

How to Add Fluid

Refer to the Maintenance Schedule to determine what kind of transaxle=20 fluid to use. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants .

If the fluid level is low, add only enough of the proper fluid to bring=20 the level into the cross-hatched area on the dipstick.

  1. Pull out the dipstick. 2. Using a long-neck funnel, add enough fluid at the dipstick hole to=20 bring it to the proper level. It doesn't take much fluid, generally less than one pint (0.5 L).=20 Don't overfill.

Notice

Use of automatic transaxle fluid other than that listed in the=20 Maintenance Schedule may damage your vehicle, and the damages may not be=20 covered by your warranty. Always use the correct automatic transaxle=20 fluid in your vehicle. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants for the=20 correct automatic transaxle fluid. 3. After adding fluid, recheck the fluid level as described under=20 "How to Check" earlier in this section. 4. When the correct fluid level is obtained, push the dipstick back=20 in all the way.

------------------------------ Automatic Transaxle (with 3.5L V6 engine) ATF Z1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (Saturn Part No. 22717466).

Reply to
blah blah

Too much fluid is a problem in another way as well. If fluid is too high then it gets whipped up by gears and causes the fluid to foam. Once these small air bubbles get introduced into the fluid, it ceases to function correctly since its hydraulic properties get severely compromised possibly causing the transmission to slip or cause permanent damage.

Excellent Instructions removed

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It took me like for ever to find the tranny dipstick in my 04 Vue but it is there. Takes a lot of looking 1st time but after that it is easy. i painted the top of the dipstick bright pink.

Reply to
Mike Broda

Hmmm, sounds like a poorly informed service manager.

In it's Honda applications Honda requires a special transmission fluid only sold at the dealers (ATF-Z1). Does Saturn use the Honda fluid or a more generic Dexron?

John

Reply to
John Horner