Battery hooked up wrong

Some one hooked up my battery backwards and it started smoking. Now the car won't start. What did they burn out?. Thanks.

Reply to
tc93610

If you're lucky, just the battery.

If you're just a little unlucky, the Fusible Links, generally mounted in the fuse block under the hood.

If you're totally screwed, they took out the voltage regulator, which is usually attached to the alternator. There are replacement regulators available.

Unfortunately, you didn't say what year/model, so these are generalizations...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You are very lucky that the battery did not burst.

Check the 100 Amp main fuses in the engine compartment and the fusible links.

Reply to
Ray O

Right. If it's a newer model (with a computer) he could well have lost it. If the smoking was from wiring rather than the battery, at minimum he's looking at replacing the wiring harness or parts of it.

I especially like the "someone" and "they". Heh.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Usually it is a "friend".

Reply to
Mark A

That did the trick for me when I hit the wrong terminals with my jumper cables, quick and cheap fix. I don't know if kooking up the battery wrong is worse though.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Actually on older Toyota's it is easy since colors reversed from most American cars. Been there and done that with no damage on an 83. On an 87 a friend took out a fusible link.

Reply to
Art