Best shop manual, for 2006 4Runner, and on-line FAQ ?

Best shop manual, for 2006 4Runner ? The major repair manual from the Toyota dealership or another manual ? I want the best, even if more technical, detailed and expensive, unless a very available one is quite just as good and not at a disadvantage in practical use.

With Volovos, there are several, but Bentley is acknowleged as the best, even if more expensive.

And an on-line FAQ showing that might have graphics or photos and recommend any tips I might not yet know about the oil drain pan nut, removal torque, needing or not a soft copper washer, etc.

Thanks, Forrest

Reply to
Forrest

The best shop manual for a Toyota is the Toyota factory service manual. The Factory Service Manual has the most complete and comprehensive information. You can access the factory service manual on line at techinfo.toyota.com for $10/day.

There are no special tip or tricks about the oil pan drain. It is a bolt, not a nut. It is probably a 14 mm head, I use a combination wrench so that if I drop it in the drain pan, I don't have to clean up a ratchet. There is a black fiber washer under the plug, it usually sticks to the pan. My local Toyota dealer always tosses a new one in when I purchase an oil filter. Removal torque is probably around 15 ~ 20 ft-lbs. When tightening, just make it tight enough to not leak, don't crank hard on the bolt.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray. very kind of you to provide this info, 'appreciated.

I expect that I will go with Synthetic, Mobil 1, and probably use a Mobil 1 filter, The dealership would, obviously, not stock anything other than Toyota oil filters, so I had better keep track of that black fiber washer under the plug, to reuse it until I can get some new ones. I have some soft copper washers which were appropriate and used in an earlier car. Do you think they would be appropriate to use ? Or just leave the black washer there or use none, for this change or the time being ?

Forrest

Reply to
Forrest

FWIW, Toyota oil filters are excellent and very reasonably priced. They even come with the gasket pre-lubed and a shrink wrap cover over the well-constructed innards.

I also use Mobil 1 in my Tacoma and find Toyota filters the only OEM worth bothering with. I pay ~ $4 when I buy them two at a time at my local dealer.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Factory manuals are usually the best, whether you're an experienced mechanic or novice, since they're so complete and detailed, but for practical tips also look at the articles in Popular Mechanics (many are free at their web site). Factory manuals excel especially in regards to diagnosis of fuel, emissions, and computer systems (computer controls fuel injection, many emissions devices, automatic transmisison, and antilock brakes). Robert Bentley manuals are almost as good, followed by Mitchell manuals. Everything else can be considerably worse, especially for diagnosis of fuel/emissions systems, and any wiring diagrams included may merely be "typical," meaning "for a completely different vehicle."

Reply to
beerspill

As bonehenge mentioned, Toyota filters are very good. They are reasonably priced, and I have used nothing but OEM Toyota filters since 1978.

I would use the same plug washer as what came with the vehicle. The black washer can be re-used many times without leaking. I would not eliminate the washer, as there is a good chance of the plug leaking.

Reply to
Ray O