Bought my wife a Prius, I WANT IT! :-)

My '98 Avalon XLS has been the joy of my driving life, but I suddenly have a new love. My wife's Subaru lost an argument at an intersection but gamely gave its life to keep her safe. In the course of choosing a new car for her we decided to look at hybrids. This week we took delivery of a Prius with option level 5 -- essentially everything but the nav system.

IMO the Prius would be a fine piece of work even with a conventional engine. It's a joy to drive. It's comfortable, it's capacious, it's attractive (a matter of judgment, I admit), and it's peppy enough to get out of trouble if necessary.

Is it perfect? Not yet. It lacks any kind of protectice cladding on its flanks. The quest for aerodynamics has led to a lack of ground clearance under the front bumper. The dashboard clock looks like a Wal-Mart reject and can't be comprehended at a glance. The antenna sprouts from the roof as a challenge to any carwash.

But OH -- the wonderful touches! Tie-downs in the boot. Storage compartments in every otherwise unspoken-for space. Dual glove compartments for the passenger. Door pockets shaped to cradle a water bottle. A large storage tray under the rear floor panel, completely hidden.

When the beloved Avalon bows out, I expect it'll be succeeded by the then-current Prius.

BTW, I paid MSRP and took delivery from stock. I'm content.

And yes, my wife loves it too. :-)

___ Brent "I can promise to be sincere, but not to be impartial." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Reply to
Brent

They are pretty neat, but have a look at a Matrix, too...

Reply to
HachiRoku