Overfilled my oil...how do I lower it now?

I'm a little over full on a 2000 Avalon. Can I just suck it out of the dipstick hole with a tube or something?

Richard D

Reply to
boxingnut

Just loosen the plug a little and let some run out.

Reply to
HachiRoku

boxingnut wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How much is it overfull? If it's 1/8" over the top mark or so, don't worry about it.

If you really need to...Easier to just drain it through the plug.

Get underneath, and put a pan under the bolt. Crack the bolt loose, and VERY carefully spin it with your fingers until you get to the end of the threads. Don't let it slip out of your fingers or you're doing a complete oil change!

Once you have it so it's dribbling, c*ck the bolt on an angle while it's still up agains the pan. This way you only have to swivel it straight again without losing the drain hole when you're done.

Let the oil run out down your hand into the pan until you figure enough has been drained. Easy, but messy.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Replace the drain plug altogether with a Fumoto oil drain valve and things like draining off 3 or 4 ounces are quick and easy

timbirr

You can even buy special equipment for that, with a little 12V suction pump driven from the lighter and some 6 mm tubing.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

Stop by any oil change place and have them vacuum it out.

Reply to
Tercel GTS

How much overfilled is it?

If a quart, then you need to do something, if a cup you can rest easy.

Reply to
J Strickland

Draining off 3 or 4 ounces is a complete waste of time.

Reply to
J Strickland

What are you saying? Just drain the oil into a pan, then pour the right amount back in. Even easier, drain SOME oil, then pour less back in.

Reply to
J Strickland

It's about a quarter inch or less over. Maybe worrying about nothing.

Richard D

Reply to
boxingnut

If it is only a quarter inch over, you do not have to go through the trouble of draining some out.

Reply to
Ray O

I agree wtih Ray, yoiu are worrying about nothing.

Reply to
J Strickland