bumper Fix

97 Avalon (Camry should be similar) My daughter rear ended another car, similar weight. No visible damage and no one hurt. (thankfully)

My expectation is that the front bumper shock mounts are crushed and need replacing. Is that right?

QUESTION: how hard is this? I've done Rack and Pinion and Timing belt repairs on this but have no experience with bumper mounts. Wife says they hit em pretty hard. Under the hood I can see the battery slipped forward but other than that, nothing looks wrong.

Is my assumption that the bumper uses crushable mounts that must be replaced correct? Seems like the bumper may have pushed in and returned to the near original position. Is there something I can measure? Any help is appreciated

Reply to
bobQ

I would take it to a shop, even the dealer, and have it looked at. There are a lot of things that can go wrong, even if it looks good.

As far as the crushable mounts, you are correct. They are something like shock absorbers, although (for some unknown to me reason) they don't bounce back. Common fix? Get a chain and find a strong tree, wrap the chain around the tree and then attach to the bumper and yank them back out again. You're on your own on this; BE CAREFUL you don't pull the bumper right off the car!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"bobQ" wrote in news:r1zve.3962$4M1.2505@trnddc07:

Not these days. Most cars these days have an EPS ("Styrofoam") insert a couple of inches thick between the bumper skin and the steel reinforcing bar. It's glued to the back of the skin. The rebar is normally solidly bolted to the body.

The old-style "crushable mounts" went out with exposed chromed-steel bumpers.

The foam crushes, yes. It normally breaks up, as well. You must buy a whole new bumper skin, since you cannot buy the foam by itself. And then the new skin will have to be painted and installed.

If the damage is that hard to notice, just leave it alone. It ain't worth worrying about.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Or a rotting tree down on your car =)

Reply to
Josh

Ya otta sell this one to Vonnage for one of their 'dumb' commercials!

Reply to
hachiroku

On the Avalon, the backing, foam and skin are separate parts. Look under the bumper and you will see a bunch of bolts. Remove the bolts to remove the skin and expose the foam.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's good to know. So the foam actually has a separate part number?

Reply to
TeGGeR®