Calculate savings on gas driving Prius

I agree with Hachi's assessment of the Prius - take a look in this thread for it. I agree that something needs to be done, but I don't see the Prius as a valid solution.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I guess I'm an idiot too, because Hachi's opinion matches mine.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

ROFL! hehehe

I actually do other indoor 'exercises' besides the mattress mambo. I have a stair machine that has me totally hooked on it.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

My, my, we DO flatter ourselves, eh? ;)

Guess I changed my sig file just in time!

Reply to
HachiRoku

I don't HAVE to because I KNOW I'm Right...

Yes I am, I'm Right...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Illogical, considering what you wrote did not match what Hachi wrote, and, even if it did, it would have zero bearing on the credibility of Mark the idiot's opinions.

Reply to
dizzy

Well, unless my comprehension skills have greatly deteriorated, I remember saying that Prius isn't cost effective, but more earth-friendly than anything else. That's essentially what Hachi said; at least I *think* that's what he meant.

,

In your opinion, no

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well...it's NOT really that much more Earth friendly...like I said, the batteries.

I don't know if things have changed; when the car was on the drawing board, there was no way to dispose of the batteries. The thought was ther WILL be by the time these cars are done.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Their logic is sick and twisted, and not in a good way. . .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Oh well, I'd rather give it to Toyota than to the oil companies and the countries that hate us.

Reply to
Chris Hill

The Prius will only pan out for inner-city or metropolitan area commuters. The batteries only work in stop 'n go traffic where most of the time is spent stopped. In these cases, the batteries can move the car a very long way without running the engine, or running the engine at idle while the car moves along at 20 mph, or so.

For those that live in the outlying areas and spend most of their time motoring along at 60+ mph, the Prius will not give them very much savings at all.

Reply to
J Strickland

Partially correct if somewhat overstated. I'd like to find a car that was reasonably comfortable (besides the Prius) that could get 50mpg on a 240 mile trip that was 80% highway.

Depends on what you're comparing it to. If you compare to something like a Civic that isn't very comfortable to ride in, I'd agree. If you're comparing it to my f350 diesel that gets 15mpg, maybe 16 with a tailwind, I don't think I can possibly agree with you there.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Dbu'' wrote: snip

I agree, Mankind is pretty presumptuous if he thinks that he can damage Mother Nature. He may very well damage mankind's environment faster that he can evolve to protect himself from the results of his pollution but 'Damage the earth itself'?, nah...we haven't gotten smart enough yet to devise any explosive force large enough to destroy or cause the earth to destroy itself physically.

I really think that the dangers that have threatened us in the past, and that we have overpowered, (diseases mostly) are just the 'lemming effect' that most species encounter over their span.

The ozone depletion (and the resultant increase in cancer) is just the latest threat that we may (or not) beat. I suspect that we'll beat this and even cancer itself sometime soon.

This leads to the very real possibly (unless we get smarter still) and become able to effectively control our birthrate enough to prevent our present upward trend.

The possibility of 'screwing ourselves out of a place at the table' is pretty scary.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

That makes sense to me, and isn't most of the country's driving in city type driving?...seems to me that it is and getting more and more so?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Just trying to picture a 'stair machine mounted on a mattress'...gollee...does one require a permit to operate that Nat?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

*fwap*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Here in Chicago we're going the other way, to longer and longer commutes and more highway miles. A Prius wouldn't give me any better mileage than an Echo or a Tercel. The extra cost doesn't help, especially when I can't afford it anyway.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I notice that you are Canadian, and you seem to post late in the evening. Does that mean you are in BC? (To those from Rio Linda reading this thread: BC stands for British Columbia, not Baja California.)

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

No Charles, just the opposite actually, about as opposite as you can get!...I'm on PEI, (Prince Edward Island) on the East coast.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

snip

That makes sense...I guess as the cities get bigger they just build more highways right through them making more and more of the driving highway driving (for the worker/commuter anyway), I suppose for taxi's and delivery vans etc the hybrid might make more sense.

Reply to
Gord Beaman