What is your Prius millage?

I am getting about 40mpg on average, and wondering what people are getting for millage

~Ron

Reply to
RonFromNY

"RonFromNY" ...

I am currently getting 52-55 MPG in west central NJ (Flemington to Somerset) over the last couple of months. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Perhaps at that rate you will start to save money on fuel, in three years or so. The premium you paid to buy a Prius over a Corolla, that can get 35 MPG, would have bought ALL of your fuel for the first three years or four years. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Perhaps at that rate you will start to save money on fuel, in three years or so. The premium you paid to buy a Prius over a Corolla, that can get 35 MPG, would have bought ALL of your fuel for the first three years or four years. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

45 or so. Yeah, in the dead of winter I can see some 38-40mpg tanks. Overall, though, 45.

I just get in it and drive. I don't own it to make a statement or let it run my life. I don't geek out over it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That's a fact.

(Is the Corolla yet as big as the Prius inside?)

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I did better than that with a $1400 Tercel. 45MPG w/ an AT and AC...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah but you didn't have to haul around an electric motor and big heavy batteries!

Reply to
Retired VIP

Amazing, huh? Yet another example of the "waste" of the Prius. All that energy used in the manufacturing of batteries and other needed devices, and it gets bested by a Tercel at a far lower cost, even when new. If one is so inclined to buy one, they should compare the "carbon footprints" (I hate that term) created to make both.

The Emperor truly has no clothes.

Reply to
witfal

A motorcycle with two up will not get 45 MPG, where were you driving at the time, down a mountain? You certain would not get that kind of mileage going UP a mountain ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Back in 1966 to 1968, I used to ride a '64 Honda 160 cc bike to work and back. A total of just less than 50 miles a day. The bike had a

2.5 gal tank that would last me for 4 days. My figures seem to indicate that the bike got around 80 mpg running between 45 and 65 mph.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

How much energy is used and pollution generated in the manufacture of a single conventional car vs. a hybrid, and over the typical lifespan of each, what are the total energy useage and pollution output of each?

I'm sure you know the answers; otherwise your pronouncement is overly bold.

Reply to
manny

Local driving at speeds of 45-70MPH. I get exceptional mileage from all my cars, I think because the way the roads are here I can get into the most efficient operating range for the engine easily.

It certainly isn't from keeping my foot out of the throttle...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why, yes, this is ture.

So if it weren't for the electric motor and the batteries, the Prius would get 60MPG.

From the same engine that was in my Tercel???

Reply to
Hachiroku

I had a DX, which was a bit better equipped than most Tercels, it had AC and an AT, and a cute little spoiler on the back (which probably actually added to the economy...) and color-keyed bumpers...

Come to think of it, the fuel economy did go up a smidge when I added the Cold Air Intake, from 39 to 45...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't yet see the point of a prius or any 'hybrid' yet. When you consider price and other alternatives (as was mentioned) such as the corolla which gets equal mileage to the yaris and xd or even better.

The disposal of the prius and it's batteries is another impact on the environment.. I think people just buy them for the (implied?) cache' . They are gutless to drive and smaller than the corolla inside.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Thank you.

Not to speak of the energy-production cost-to-energy return ratio.

Reply to
witfal

Did you miss the part about "with TWO up? In any event that's amazing particularly when one considers a CL70 in the day would not do nearly as well running up and down hills and mountains ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

There is no question how and WHERE one drives determines the average mileage one will get with any vehicle. That is why the EPA label says "Your mileage may vary." ;)

A good example of why one should carefully consider what they buy based on where and how they drive. Nationally eight out of ten Camrys sold in the US have the 4cy engine but Toyota dealers in the mountainous area where I live stock more V6 Camrys. The reason being the 4cy is a slug that is too under powered for the weight of the car, which has it operating in lower gears more often than the V6 so the V6 mileage is as good as or better than the

4cy.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Around 46 MPG in winter with the crap gasoline they sell, and maybe due to lights and heater usage. Close to 50 MPG in summer if I use Interstate 280 with all its hills and valleys, but 53 MPG if I drive US 101 that's flat all the way. To reach these figures, I set cruise at 60 MPH, and most city driving at 34 MPH. If ya drive faster, ya still get passed up a lot, so why throw away money to drive 70?

Reply to
Chuck Olson