Camry questions

My 1991 Honda Civic died an early death when the water pump siezed. Should have had 25K more before the T-belt needed replacing but that is life.

I have a chance to buy a one owner 1993 Camry with 175K for just under

3K. The car is one owner and appears to have been maintained. The original owners manual is still in place. I have tracked the original owner down but he is out of town until Wednesday afternoon.

One point that concerns me is crude under the oil cap. The oil, on the dip stick, is not new but shows no sign of abuse. Tranny ATF fluid is clean with no smell. There are no obvious oil leaks. Starts fast, it had been sitting for 4 days in 20F weather Body has no rust and doesn't appear to have any damage and I will get the credit union to run car fax wednesday morning.

Anything I should be taking a hard look at?

Thanks

Terry

Reply to
r2000swler

Nothing in particular, other than the usual stuff to check when purchasing a used car. You might want to find out when the timing belt was replaced ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unless you're strapped for cash and NEED a car quickly, I'd have second thoughts about paying almost $3000 for a 16 year old vehicle with close to

200,000 miles on it. Many second thoughts. For not that much more money, you could get a much newer car with less mileage. For instance, my '97 Camry with 135k miles is valued (according to the bluebooks) at roughly $4,000. First, you want to find out why the owner is selling it....if he's getting a new car (of any sort) he certainly won't get anywhere near $3000 as a trade in, so I'd be inclined to offer him a small premium over the trade in value. No car (even a Toyota) runs forever, and at 175,000 miles, I think you'd be liable to a lot of lurking problems, like transmission, suspension, cooling system, and of course the engine...... My advice would be either to cut the offering price in half or seek a newer vehicle with lower mileage.
Reply to
mack

You are scaring me to death.

Guess I'd better take my '92 Corolla Wagon (205,000 miles) to the dump....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Different situation altogether, Scott. You already OWN your car, having bought it some years ago, and you've probably already gotten your money's worth from it, so any miles you put on it now are icing on the cake. You're also familiar with most or all of the car's quirks and know what you have replaced on it, and what trouble spots may be lurking in the future (although in fact we can't ever know what's going to on the fritz tomorrow, whether it's a 15 year old car or one driven off the showroom floor last week.) But if you were offered a '92 Corolla with 205 K miles on it by a perfect stranger, how much would you risk on this unknown quantity?

Reply to
mack

There's a '92 wagon down the street from me with 136K for $1500...

Yeah, I'd keep looking, or get him under $2K...

Reply to
Hach