Car burning oil?

What can be done to stop a car from burning oil? Please help!

Reply to
toyota

Usually requires an overhaul of the engine, valves. rings or both. No cheap repair there.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

What model, year, and engine. How has it been maintained? Is it burning it or is it leaking out. Is it the valve seals or rings? You didn't provide enugh info.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Miles? Care given? Could be as simple as PVC or valve stem seals to a complete overhaul. In mean time use thicker oil (20W50) or try the high mileage oils.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not always. It depends on how bad it is and why it is burning it. Lots of time if you change to a heiver grade oil, especailly in warmer months, you can greatly reduce oil consumption. If you have a oil burning problem, the last thing you want in the crank case is 5w30. Try some 15w40 HD oil for diesel and HD gas usage and you will likely see consumption drop a lot and a oil pressure increase as well. Stay away from 10w40 and 20w50. You can get 15w40 wallmart brand for less than 6 bucks a gal. I have been using it in my tractors and old truck for years and it is good oil.

Reply to
SnoMan

It's a 1991 Toyota Tercel with a 3EE 1.5 engine. I guess it's burning oil because there's no oil spots on the ground after driving the vehicle. Maybe it has some thing to do with the vehicle sitting for over a year with out driving it. I'm not using 20W50 oil and it seems to work some. How would I know if it's the valves, the rings or the PVC? How can I check.

Reply to
toyota