Car security system for '81 Corolla

Hi,

I have a RWD 4-door Corolla, 1980 model with twin headlights. I want to get a new remote locking and securit system for this car. I heard that the locking mechanism for my oldie is not compatible withthe new security systems.

Is this true? Has anyone tried this or is aware of what brand can make this work?

I had purchased this carin Saudi Arabia and now it's in India.

thanks, Sameer

Reply to
sammy

I used to use AutoPage alram systems, and they can be configured 3 or 4 different ways, for Ford, Chevy, Nissan and Toyota (all others fall into one of these categories...) There was also another manufacturer out there, I think it was Code Alarm that had similar models.

Reply to
hachiroku

Compatible? Suspect your '81 doesn't have power locks now? If not you'll buy a kit with the small actuators that push-pull a rod to lock-unlock the car. I added them to an 85 Yota PU. THey were just power door locks not keyless entry. You have to be creative in mounting the motors and bending the rods but it worked fine. A alarm simply interfaces with it motors and gives you keyless entry. I used a kit from JC Wnitney. $36 for 2 door version.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolf. That makes sense!

I'm trying to find out other alternatives as well. But in the meantime it seems like most of them will involve some level of tweaking and bending, like you say, 'getting creative' with the locking mechanism.

Could you give me some details about this?

I'm not too god at this stuff, so I'll have to get it done by a mechanic. It'll help me if you could tell me a bit about the process you followed and what it took to make this happen.

-Sameer

Reply to
sammy