Air/fuel mixture for 80' Corolla

Hi,

I have a RWD 4 door, 1980 model Toyota Corolla. It was purchased in Saudi Arabia and is now in India (since '93)

It's done about 75000 only and was lying idle for a while. I've started using it again now and was trying to tune the air/fuel mix, since lately it was going fast or slow in idle on it's own.

I need help with this since I am unable to understand how to get it right. There are two screws behind the air filter. I fully tightened the lower one and then moved it about 1 and a hlf turns counter-clockwise, below that, the car dies out. The other one, the one on top/easily accessible one used to make more differnce to the idling earlier, but now it doesnt make much diff. I've kept it half way for now, not sure where it should be.

But after I did this, my car is soooo much smoother, earlier it was sluggish. This is definately the result of my twiddling with the screws. My priority is to get good mileage, and I think this is not helping.

I know one screw is for the air/fuel and the other for idling, but dont know which is which. I need help figuring out how to tune this up for good mileage on my own. It's not easy to get a good mechanic for these oldies where I live.

thanks, Sam

Reply to
sammy