Car shake when pressing the breaks???

When driving around 45 MPH or higher, when I press the breaks the car front end shakes. I changed the breaks but it still shakes. What can be the problem??? Oh, it's a 93 Toyota Camry.

Reply to
toyota

When driving around 45 MPH or higher, when I press the breaks the car front end shakes. I changed the breaks but it still shakes. What can be the problem??? Oh, it's a 93 Toyota Camry.

Reply to
toyota

Your rotors are shot. You may be able to turn them at a shop, but they definitely need to be fixed.

Reply to
Gordo

When you say 'changed the breaks' do you mean changed the pads? If so then you probably have somehow warped the rotors. You might be able to have them turned, but I think you can buy a generic set for not much more than the cost of having them turned. I think I paid less than $50 for two generic rotors for my wife's Corolla and I put them on for free. Figure $20 to turn the old ones plus labor and you end up with thin rotors that cost as much as brand new ones.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Yes, that's what I mean (changed the pads). I think it's my rotors as well. I think I'll try to replace them myself. Is it hard to do? Will you give me some guidance? Thank.

Reply to
toyota

Although I haven't worked on this year Camry brakes, generally, it is an easy job, especially if you already have been into the pads. Check around here

you have any problems. Looks like a good site for advice.

Reply to
Gordo

If you have already learned how to take off the calipers and replace the pads then you know everything you need to replace the rotor (unless the Camry rotor is attached differently than the rotors on my Corolla.)

The rotor on my Corolla is just held on by the caliper and the wheel studs, and possibly by corrosion. Once you remove the caliper and hang it by a wire so you don't stress the break line, all you should have to do is take a hammer and tap the old rotor from behind and it should come off. Then put on the new one and replace the caliper.

If your new rotor is thicker then the old one (it should be) then you will need to use a C-clamp with the screw against the outside of the caliper and the inside against the pad to gently spread the pads enough to easily slide the caliper assembly onto the new rotor. Then just reattach the caliper and the wheel and you should be in business.

Of course the Camhy might have soe secondary mathod of rotor attachment that I don't know about. Google "Camry rotor replacement" and see what you find.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

They're BRAKES.

You have warped rotors on the front.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Did you cut the rotors or replace them when you replaced the pads? If not, that could be your problem...

Reply to
Pit636