Commuter mileage

One of the reasons I got my xB is because of its excellent mileage, so I thought it would be a good time to compare what my own little xBox has been doing, mileage-wise.

When I first got it a little over a year ago, my '06 xB was getting right around 33 MPG, with my driving being mostly commuting and a couple of longer trips. The interesting thing was that for longer trips, the mileage was actually lower, with the worst being around 28 MPG on one drive up to northern MN and back. I guess the stick really does get a little worse mileage on long trips 'cause of the higher revs.

This spring I rechecked the mileage of my xB for three tankfuls of gas and I found that for those tankfuls, all of them commuting miles (I have a twenty-mile round-trip with almost all county roads and I go right around 50 mph most of the way there and back), the mileage is up to nearly 36 MPG, a quite pleasing change, and probably because of the engine being broken in and more miles at 50 mph.

The latest mileage I'm getting is now in the 45-50 MPG range! The really ODD thing is that most days I've been going FASTER on my way to and from work! Faster commutes and better mileage?!? Something doesn't add up here . . . .

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?????

Reply to
Don Fearn

The engine may be reaching operating temperature more quickly with the arrival of warmer weather, and gas stations are not yet selling summer blend fuels.

Reply to
Ray O

If I drive at 50mph I get 18-20mpg, if I drive at 65-70 I get 24-26. Slower != better economy.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Don Fearn opin'd thus:

Here's what the heck is going on! Two things, actually:

1) I started riding my motorcycle to work . . . because . . . 2) It's APRIL . . . .

HAPPY (belated) APRIL FIRST, EVERYONE ;^)

Reply to
Don Fearn

I started bicycling to work once the ice melted.

You should see _my_ mileage (as well as my heart and lungs ).

NOT April Fool! ;^)

Reply to
B A R R Y

Don Fearn proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

Git :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

B A R R Y opin'd thus:

I used to do that . . . when my commute was three miles -- and I was YOUNGER

Yeah, there's nothing like bicycling for high mileage and good heart and lung capacity. I still bicycle regularly when I can and try to swim at least three times a week in lieu of bicycling to work. Weeks when I can't do either, I feel sluggish and tired.

KEEP ON BIKIN', D00D!!

Reply to
Don Fearn