Compact Spare pressure

  1. Verify it is a Compact Spare by the writing "Temporary Use Only" - which I have.
  2. Inflate to 60 psi.

Since this tire has the same size and shape as the rest - which run at

35psi (I use 38psi) per the manual - 60 psi seem excessive and not needed.

What is the bottom line RayO? What is going on? m

Reply to
mike

Thinner tires like bicycle tires, require higher PSI.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Your other tires are also compact spares and should be running at 60 psi On my 06 sienna the compact spare tire, stored on a cable under vehicle,

Reply to
Jack G

snipped-for-privacy@nosamm.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What does it say on the tire itself? That's the final answer.

Reply to
Tegger

If the spare is a compact spare, it should indicate proper inflation pressures on the sidewall, which should be 60 PSI.

The term "compact spare" is someone of a misnomer. "Temporary spare" would be amore accurate description. The tires generally lighter, which helps with EPA mileage. ratings. The tires are meant for temporary use because they are generally narrower, have less tread material, and have less internal belts. Without as much internal belts to give it structure, higher pressures are needed to prevent heat buildup.

Regardless of whether the spare is temporary or full-size, I always keep it inflated to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall. Tires naturally lose air over time, and it is easier to let air out of an over-inflated tire than add air to one that is underinflated on the side of the road somewhere.

Reply to
Ray O

It says inflate to 60 psi on the tire. I took it to be the maximum one should inflate it to. Just like any other tire 60psi is common on small truck or van tires but many only inflate to 50 psi or less. I used the highest rated pressure in my bike and had all kinds of problems with tubes rupturing (about six in a row) around the valve stem. I lowered the pressure and the problem went away.

The spare tire was found with the valve side UP and not accessible for checking air pressure. Any problem with having it down and accessible?

So perhaps they save 2-3 lbs with this temporary tire. Is that really worth all the trouble - why not replace it with a standard tire - first chance?

mike

Keep the temporary spare inflated to 60 and you should be OK.

The only problem you might run into by reversing the tire so that the valve stem is down is that the spare carrier might fit differently and the wheel and tire won't fit snugly. If that is not a problem, then go ahead and flip the tire, and yes, there shouldn't be any problem with fitting a standard tire and wheel when you get the chance. Note that you will also need a new wheel in addition to the standard size tire.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your answers. A standard tire is the same diameter but is 8" thick rather than the spare

6" thickness. I will be checking clearances and fit before I look for a std size - junkyard replacement. m
Reply to
mike

Thanks for your answers. A standard tire is the same diameter but is 8" thick rather than the spare

6" thickness. I will be checking clearances and fit before I look for a std size - junkyard replacement. m

PS Just reinstalled the spare. 8.5 inch of ground clearance. A standard curb is 8". If I were to use a standard tire that clearance could be reduced to 6.5" - and I could have a LO rider problem . I have a plug tool and a small 12v compressor so a replacement would not be worth the problems. Valve down does seem to work.

Reply to
mike