Considering new Sienna - AWD thoughts?

Greets all,

I may be a future Toyota convert and am strongly conidering a new Sienna 7passenger LE with package 2 (alloy, power driver side closer, etc). I've been hugely impressed with the sales experience thus far at Toyota of Naperville--I've never been so comfortable in a dealership without any of the "ick" feeling I got my first time at Toyota of Schuamburg IL, for instance.

My question is regarding experiences/observations on the optional AWD. As a Subaru owner, the stabiilty AWD gives around here in the winter is wonderful, but the hit in fuel economy is something to consider. What I don't know is whether the Toyota AWD system is worth a hoot, or whether it's appreciably more useful than saving the nearly $4k delta it presents in price toward some really nice snow tires and calling it a day?

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The AWD does give added stability and traction in wet weather and snow. Whether it is necessary for you depends on your comfort level driving in wet weather and snow, and if you need to be out when others have the option of staying home. Besides the hit in fuel consumption, the AWD also will cost a little more to maintain (2 additional differentials) and due to the location of the rear differential, there is no room for a spare tire underneath. I believe that the AWD Sienna uses run-flat tires, and if you want to carry a spare, you have to get an optional spare tire mounting kit that holds the spare in the cargo area, which means that the third row seat doesn't fold flat or doesn't recline or something.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi,

The Sienna AWD system is not a true 4-wheel drive. It only starts to work in all 4 wheels after the vehicle starts slipping, so its helpfulness in snow is limited. When I had a Dodge Ramcharger, and clicked it into 4-wheel drive before driving, by golly it was a real

4-wheel drive that was excellent in snow and mud. In addition, the AWD Sienna uses run-flat tires, which make the Sienna ride like a heavy truck, quite inferior to the FWD's smooth ride.

Have you considered using 4 snow tires in the winter, instead of spending thousands for AWD + using more gasoline and getting a crummy ride?

Morton

Reply to
Morton

Hi Morton,

Thanks for the reply.

In fact, I have, and think that's the route I'm gonna go. Once I found out the AWD came with runflats, and saw the price difference that was enough to chase me off, and then learnign the AWD design is pretty lackluster (thanks for the info!) is the nail in the coffin.

The Subaru is a dream in the snow, but it comes at the price of the weight and mileage hit of full time high quality viscous coupled AWD that they've spent a few decades perfecting. Alas they don't make a van, their engines are inefficient and weird, and prone to head gasket issues.

It looks like a Sienne LE 2WD is in my future, though, and yeah, some Blizzak's are probably going to purchased for the winter! For the thousands saved not getting AWD, one can buy and mount some really nice snow tires for sure.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I bought my Sienna 04 model in Sept 03. It has been a wonderful trouble free vehicle. i would stay away from the AWD model for the reasons already mentioned. The 2WD model does very well in snow.

Reply to
dbu