Converting 2003 Lexus 470 to daylight running lights

Can anyone tell me what is involved in converted a USA LX 470 Lexus to Daylight running lights for importing into canada?

Reply to
cabopeter

Turn on the headlights in the daytime....

Cost? Zero.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I think it was Scott in Florida who stated:

Not being able to import his Lexus into Canada . . .

PRICELESS . . . .

(I don't know how to do the conversion either, Scott, but I DO know he can't import it unless it is converted!)

-Don

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

Reply to
cabopeter

Just swim across the border....cost zero....

On second thought stay in Mexico...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

In the past, this web site has been suggested as a source of tech info:

You can buy one day access to tech manuals for $10.00 US. Since Toyota is not a stupid company, my guess is that you'll be able to convert your Lexus fairly easily. You might get unbelievably lucky and find it's a matter of moving a relay to a different position in a socket panel, like moving the jumpers on computer mother boards.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I know very little about cars, but since Toyota is only charging $40 MSRP for the daylight running lights on the RAV4, I too would assume that it's something easy to set (assuming the car was originally designed with this in mind).

By the way, is it easy to override the DRLs? I'm an amateur astronomer, and sometimes observe with others. The last thing I want to happen is for my car lights to come on when I am leaving while others are still observing.

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

$39 webelectric.com

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I have no idea. My 2002 Tacoma did not come with the feature. With a schematic in hand, you should be able to find a way to install a switch.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That web site's domain name is for sale. Try again?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Although this site

is about defeating them,you may be able to reverse engineer things to add them. In addition, they tell how to add a switch to the system to control the operation.

QX

Ken Shelton

I recently imported two cars to Canada from the US -- a 1997 Toyota Avalon, and an 1998 Audi A6Q. So I have gone through this process.

The "universal module" described on the webelectric website will not provide DRLs that are legal in Canada. Using the turn signal bulbs is not compliant!

In Canada, the only legal DRLs use either headlights, or the fog lamps. New Lexus cars implement the DRLs using the high beam lights (at lower voltage). They are interlocked with the normal headlights -- a legal requirement.

The AUDI conversion uses the fog lights -- again interlocked with the parking/headlights.

For the Avalon, "hardwiring" the headlamp switch into the "auto" position was deemed compliant (but this may be bending the actual requirmeent slightly).

But don't be lured by the $39 "universal solution" -- it will not pass the the inspection needed to register a "foreign" car in Canada.

Newer Lexus models by be amenable to conversion via computer settings or module/relay changes, but you should first check with an actual Canadian inspection station before trying a non-dealer solution.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Start it up, put it in gear, notice that a 2003 LX470 comes with DRL standard (source: pre-owned model library at lexus.com), and drive it into Canada. ;)

Reply to
greg

Mine already had them. My 2000 did, my 2003 and my 2006 all have had DRL's. They suck, and there is no way to shut them off. There was even a recall about them being too bright or something.

Reply to
Edgar

Think of them as being a safety feature for you. There is no doubt other drivers are more inclined to notice vehicles with DLR's. Here in Canada it is mandatory to have DLR. Motorcycles here usually drive with their high beams on and that I find aggrevating.

Reply to
Bob

Consider yourself lucky. Here in the states, they believe the "loud pipes save lives" crap, and the cops pretend noise ordinances don't apply to motorcycles.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't understand what the big deal is... I leave my head lights on whenever I am driving.... day or night. Its a visibility and safety thing.

Reply to
Noon-Air

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:47:37 -0500, "Edgar" found these unused words floating about:

There's a slight modification that will 'break' the command signal and leave the DRLs off, provided it's 'broken' when you start the vehicle. They will not return until you restart with the switch closed.

See Tacoma Mods.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Sorry to tell you but those are not the same as Canadian daytime running lights. The headlights in Canada are the daytime running lights. However they are usually set at about 70% strength rather than full illumination. In my opinion the best way to do so is to install a simple circuit to the battery posts with a fuse, and a switch onto an oil pressure sensor. This way the lights come on when the car has oil pressure. When I install such an item, I don't bother with a 70% ratio. I just put the lights on 100%. The running lights that are for sale in the website you mentioned do not work the head lights. They only illuminate the turn signal lights. I suppose it's better than nothing but compared to the headlights, it is almost nothing.

Reply to
mikestp