Corolla or Mazda3 ?

I am trying to decide which of this two vehicles to buy - Mazda3 GS or Corlla CE with Power Pakage. Any opinions ?

Thanks

Reply to
malamilia

Now, if you know anything in depth about Toyotas, you know Hachiroku means

86 and stands for the AE86 Corolla with the 4A-GE twin cam. That was a lnog time ago.

But I like Toyotas.

We had a Mazda 3 on the lot for a few weeks. I got to work on it.

I LIKE IT!!!! This is what I like in a Japanese car.

We sold it before I could make an offer.

Can't vouch for reliability; as far as I'm concerned NOTHING is as reliable as a Toyota (I DON'T WANT ANY STORIES ABOUT CHEVY TRUCKS, GUYS! YOU AREN'T CHANGING MY MIND!!!)

But the Mazda 3 hatchback was hot looking, appeared well made and sure was a BLAST to zip around in! Had the 2.3 litre twin cam and the Auto with the 'tip-tronic' style tranny and spun the wheels handily.

If you're out for FUN and a little panache, buy the Mazda. If youy want 4 doors, solid reliabilty but just fit in with the crowd, buy the Toyota.

And get left in the dust by the Mazdas!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Corolla gets better gas mileage and has a proven, long standing reputation for reliability. Mazda3 may be more fun to drive, but it has the gas mileage of a Camry and it's reliability is a question mark.

Get the Corolla.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

My 2 cents worth. Mazda parts are harder to get and seem to be quite a bit more then Toyota parts. Mazda just does not have the dealer network of Toyota. Or the reputation. Scott

Reply to
zonie

The Mazda 3 gets good reviews from Consumer Reports. The Corolla is a great car; but the Mazda provides greater flexibility in driving position with a telescopic wheel ( S model). I have driven both and the Mazda just drives better. The Mazda also has a longer warranty in the USA for those that are concerned about dependability.

Everyone has an opinion; but the only one that counts is the guy driving and paying for the car.

Reply to
Mike Phillips

Corolla 4 door doesn't get left in the dust by much. Not standard though which is a shame.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

But Mazda have a large tie in, partnering and partial ownership of ford. They do have the reliability, and the parts in the UK are cheaper than Toyota by a long way.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

But is uglier than the Mazda 3, IMHO...

One other thing I like...the Mazda is made in Japan! Not Ontario.

As I have said before, I want my Japanese car MADE IN JAPAN, DAMMIT!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's what worries me.

It's the complete opposite in North America. Mazda's overall reliability is decreasing and their parts are way more expensive than Toyota.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You can assume the guys in this NG are going to tell you the Corolla is the better vehicle. The truth is both are good dependable vehicles. Drive each equipped the way you want. Then get a total drive home price, not just a selling price, then decide which bests suits your needs and budget, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

See my response, there, Mikey!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Whatsup

The EPA fuel economy numbers for the Corolla are 32 city / 41 highway unless you get the spot model, then it drops to 26 / 34. Consumer Reports got 29 overall (standard model). The Mazda 3's mileage with the 2.3L engine is 25 /

32 or with the 2.0L engine 28 / 35. Consumer reports got 27 overall with the 2.0L. So, depending on the engine, the difference is not so great and probably is not the most important factor when deciding between the two. Edmunds claims that the Mazda 3 (2.0L manual), with their version of the power package, and AC, has a true market value of $15,165. A similarly equipped Corolla has a TMV of $14,560 (I suspect a good negotiator could get either for less, but it is also likely you won't find either with as little equipment as these numbers reflect). So, it appears that the Corolla provides better fuel economy and costs less. However, I think the fuel economy and price are close enough, that neither (or the combination) is enough to override other factors. Consumer Reports shows the reliability as a wash between the two (both showed up as excellent). So, in the end, I think you will have to decide based on your own personal preferences - like how they drive, how comfortable they are for you, your opinion of the appearance, local dealer support, etc. Consumer Report showed the Mazda 3 as having "excellent" owner satisfaction. The Corolla only rated "very good" in owner satisfaction.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

So far, I have test driven both vehicles more than once. The Mazda has a definite edge. It has more equipment and I don't mean toys either - alluminum wheels, a slightly bigger engine and the ride is abit more confortable too. The Corolla on the other hand, has a very long history of being there anytime you need it, but it is not immune to problems too as some of the post in this forum shows.

I appreciate the responses so far ..keep this dialog going !

Thanks.

Reply to
malamilia

The Mazda

Reply to
Hachiroku

So, buy the Mazda! ;)

I NEVER thought I would hear myself recommending a car other than a Toyota, but there is NOTHING in the Toyota line that excites me anymore...

except...

Have you checked a Scion tC yet?????

The base model is only $2,000 more than the Corolla, about the same as the Mazda, and really nice for under $20K

Reply to
Hachiroku

Get a total delivered price for each and you choice will be more easily decided.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

When I was car shopping a few months ago, the Mazda 3 2.3 was high on my list. Reports were positive and like Hachi said, it is a FUN car to drive! Nicely equipped. I also test drove the Corolla S - it may be reliable has hell, but BORING! Both cars tested were 5-speed.

So it depends what you're looking for in purchasing this car. Is it gas mileage, reliability, fun to drive factor, dealer support/service, cost, maintenance, etc?

Gas mileage - would go to the Corolla

Reliability - both get excellent ratings, but I personally trust Toyota more

Fun to Drive - DEFINATELY the Mazda!!

Dealer Support/Service - Toyota is excellent. Mazda, I get a VERY bad feeling. Just the sales department @Mazda, their showrooms, service when in their showroom - all have been disappointing. Not saying the car is Mazda is bad or anything but did not leave with that good feeling of support if something should go wrong.

Cost - Mazda was reluctant to negotiate, saying their cars are selling like "hotcakes". Makes you wonder why there are still brand new '04 models on their lot in August '05.

Normal maintenance costs - look at the amount you'll spend on gas, tires, etc... Like Mike said, look at the final selling price, and also include the options you want in each.

-Dave

btw - finally ended up with an '05 Accord LX. I know, it's boring too but it's practical *gasp* and I got a great price. Had to get the 5-speed to give me a little fun while driving!

Reply to
Dave L

Reply to
macorolla

Yep, the Corolla and the Honda Civic lead all others in this class for fuel economy. And that's not including the Civic Hybrid.

The fact that Mazda is owned by Ford is not encouraging.

The quality of service will vary from dealer to dealer for all manufacturers.

Again, that's more of an individual dealer issue.

Mazda parts are astronomically expensive compared to Toyota. So even regular maintenance (e.g. brakes) will cost more with the Mazda.

I assume you mean a 5-speed manual? The automatic tranny in the current Accord is also a 5-speed. :-)

Reply to
High Tech Misfit