Faulty part prompts Toyota to recall 15,600 Tundras

Faulty part prompts Toyota to recall 15,600 Tundras

Ryan Beene Automotive News December 14, 2007 - 12:35 pm ET

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. is recalling 15,600 2007 Toyota Tundra pickups because a transmission part could break.

Toyota says the rear propeller shaft on four-wheel-drive Tundras could separate at a joint. No accidents or injuries have been reported resulting from the faulty shaft.

"The front joint on the rear driveshaft may have been improperly heat treated by our supplier," a Toyota spokesman said. "In the worst case, the shaft may separate at the joint."

Toyota discovered the flaw after a customer complained of abnormal noises coming from the shaft.

Owners of the recalled trucks will receive a notification in the mail starting late this month, Toyota said in a statement today.

The recall is not related to the previously reported "rumble strip" noise that came from the torque converter's inability to change gears, which has yet to result in a recall but has prompted Toyota to replace entire transmissions.

Toyota also replaced some Tundra engines this year because of faulty camshafts. The automaker hopes to sell 200,000 of the redesigned full-sized trucks this year.

Reply to
Ed White

P.O.S...........

Reply to
DanO

Yeah, Toyota's trucks are more for weekend rides than actual work. But their Corolla is great - cheap and reliable transportation! Beats Yugo.

Reply to
johngdole

And how many recalls has Generally Mediocre had on their vehicles? And of course Henry Fraud's great company never had any either. And let's look at longevity. Amerikan vehicles start falling apart as they are driven off the dealer's lot.

Reply to
Fuller Rath

You mean like the F150 that I owned for 14 years, that never saw a repair shop until it was 12 years old? Or the 1999 Ranger my Mother owns that has never needed a single repair? Or the 2005 Freestyle that my Mother owns that has never been back to the dealer? Or the 1997 Expedition I drove for

147,000 with two repairs (one alternator and one coil pack).

Why is it that Toyota owners assume becasue Toyota fall apart that all other brands must be even worse? On my way home this mrning I was behind a generation one Tundra that was leaking so much oil that I had to stop and clean my wnidsheild. Oh What a Feeling, Moving Forward , and the latest Toyota slogan - Don't Blame Toyota, If you own a Toyota and it breaks - It is your fault, or at least the supplier's fault.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Back atcha', troll!

Ford Recalls 1.2 Million SUVs, Trucks AP Posted: 2007-12-06 16:18:46 Filed Under: Recalls DETROIT (Dec. 6) - Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it is recalling 1.17 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to fix an engine sensor that could lead to engine stalling.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Or my Jeep that went over 200,000 miles before in needed so much as a water pump? The same Jeep that now has over 350,000 miles on it?

Jeff DeWitt

Ed White wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Hmmm....

"J.D. Power and Associates Reports: Ford Motor Company Captures Most Awards in 2007 Initial Quality Study

Product Launches Create Quality Challenges for Manufacturers

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 6 June 2007 ? Ford Motor Company garners five top model segment awards?more than any other automobile corporation this year, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Initial Quality StudySM (IQS) released today.

In the study, Ford Motor Company earns model segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Mercury Milan.

?The 2007 IQS results contain some encouraging and positive news for Ford Motor Company,? said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. ?Fourteen Ford Motor Company models place in the top three of their respective segments?an achievement unmatched by any other corporation this year?which is a testament to the improvement in quality for Ford Motor Company vehicle models and plants. In addition, their Lincoln nameplate, which receives two segment awards, improves considerably to rank third in 2007, from

12th in 2006.?

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Frank

Due to Ford's anti-family donation practices I will never purchase a FORD, ever.

Reply to
Leythos

Different subject... all the automakers are too damn PC.

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Making huge donations to gay groups is not PC, it's unethical and I will never purchase FORD or Ford Sponsored products because of it.

Reply to
Leythos

It's not unethical if it's legal and seeks to maximize company profits. OTOH companies should not give away money for purely altruistic reasons.

Reply to
MaceFace

Sure, they can support anything they want, but they can't complain when it violates the trust of their major base of customers. There are many groups that FORD could give money too without offending it's largest customer base, unless they want to show that they don't care about that base of customers and want to bring in a new base of customers - but you would think, if they actually went that way, that they would want what is best for the company and not just some leaders ego....

Reply to
Leythos

You think Ford's "largest customer base" is homophobics?

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Posting an article that might be of interest to Toyota owners is hardly troll material. I didn't post the Ford recall article, only because others beat me to it.

And at least Ford is recalling the trucks for a faulty sensor. As usual Toyota is denying there is a problem with the Tundra transmissions despite numerous complaints. Eventually the roar of the complaints will become so loud that Toyota will probably have to recall the transmissions, after issuing a blaming either the owners or suppliers (notice that Ford didn't blame either the engine supplier, Navistar, or even the manufacturer of the sensor).

The "Truck That is Changing Everything" is mostly exposing Toyota problems. For this vehicle Toyota didn't debug the problems in foreign markets so America is getting a good luck at Toyota's design quality. Even Nissan did a better job of launching a "Full Size Truck" than Toyota.

I am curious about one thing with regards to the new monster truck Tundras - do they make anything except Crew Max Cabs? I am seeing a good number of Tundras now, but everyone I have seen is a Crew Max. Surely there are regular cab versions. As far as I am concerned, Toyota took a decent sized truck (gen 1 Tundra) and ruined it.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

You post every Toyota recall there is. It's your reason for posting to this group.

Sure.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Ed White" found these unused words:

So buym the Tacoma ... it's the -=old=- Tundra.

For those not wanting BIG, the Tacoma was perfect, now there's .... !

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Here in the Chicago area, I see a lot more Double Cabs than Crew Max Cabs. The two look similar at first glance, except that the rear doors on the Crew Max are quite a bit larger than on the Double Cab.

Reply to
Ray O

So you aren't interest in Toyota recalls?

Are you one of those Toyota owners who want to maintain the illusion of Toyota perfection? If so, you should get a job with the Toyota spin department No other manufacturer spends so much time trying to hide defects, or shift the blame to their Customers or suppliers.

I would never claim Toyotas are especially bad. In fact I'd agree they are above average. They have had problems with trucks in recent years (head gaskets, ball joints, transmissions, piston slap, etc.). Ironically, I am trying to convince my Sister that she should buy a RAV4. She wants a small/midsize SUV and I think the RAV4 is the best of class vehicle and will suit her needs better than anything else. And it is likely if I bought a new pickup today, it would be a Tacoma. But I would not have any illusions that I was getting an incredibly reliable vehicle. I would expect something better than average, and nothing more.

I think it gets under my skin when Toyota apologist try to claim Toyotas are incredibly reliable. Often they have not owned a recent domestic vehicle and they are comparing a new Toyota to some 20 year old beater they remember from their childhood. If I bring up how crappy Toyotas were 10 or 20 years ago, I am called a troll. I prefer to thinking of myself as a realist.

Wouldn't you at least like to hear the opinions of others that might not agree that Toyotas are perfect? I believe more information is better than less.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White