Fix a Flat

In the past I have used Fix A Flat or similar inflate from a can products to fix 9 out of 10 flats - and who knows how many I never knew about. On the can it says "Do not use on tire sensor technology." Is this just another Q-tip warning to be ignored or what gives? It says it is non flammable -so what is the problem with simply leaving the stuff in the tires forever.

On the rack next to it there were some color coded tire minders that one apparently just insert in the tire stem and it should show green if pressure is ok. Is this needed in addition to tire sensors? j

Reply to
joe

Fix a Flat and green slime stuff basically work by coating the entire inside of the tire and wheel with stuff that eventually cures to the consistency of rubber. If that stuff coats the sensor, it would keep the sensor for detecting the true air pressure.

No.

Reply to
Ray O

So I should not use it. What is that sensor? Is it fastened to the rim inside the tire? What happens when one fixes the tire with either a plug or patch on the inside?

I think I need the ability to fix flats more that the this sensor technology. What would I be giving up? j

Reply to
joe

don't know about the Fix-a-Flat, which is a different product, but here is what SLIME says about their product and tire sensors:

timbirr

Sensor technology (a $200-500 option either OEM or add on) only tells you when a tire is loosing air --- it does nothing to fix it other than indicate you need to add air and have the tire checked. SLIME/FIX-A-Flat is a temporary get to a repair place thing. I'm sure it clougs up and corrodes the costly tire sensor. A proper tire repair is done by taking the tire off the rim and patching it from the inside with a patch that plugs the hole and seals around the area inside the tire. Tire generally has to be rebalanced then too. The quick rubber band/plug fix without removing the tire will void a tires warranty since it often cuts vital tire threads when the insert the rubber bands or plug. No radial tire with a side wall puncture should be patched.

Tire sensors are a pain when you rotate tires as you have to reprogram them.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Not use what? The sensor or the Fix a Flat Stuff? I would only use the Fix a Flat or slime stuff if you are in dire straits without a spare tire. That stuff is not intended to be a permanent repair.

What is that sensor?

The sensor is a device that senses the air pressure in its environment.

Is it fastened to the

There is no rim inside the tire, however, there is a rim on the wheel. This link from a tire repair equipment manufacturer shows some examples of how tire pressure sensors are mounted on wheels:

What happens when one fixes the tire with either

If the tire is fixed correctly, air stops leaking out the hole.

When you say "I need the ability to fix flats" do you mean that you are personally going to fix flats without taking it to a service facility? I'm not sure what you mean by "giving up." There is nothing to give up if tire pressure sensors are installed.

The proper way to repair a puncture in a tubeless tire is to locate the puncture, mark it on the tread, dismount the tire from the wheel, scuff the inside surface of the tread about 2 ~4 inches in diameter around the puncture, apply rubber cement and the patch, re-mount and re-balance the tire. So, you will need a bead breaker and a wheel balancing machine and a compressor.

The no-so-proper way to repair a puncture in a tubeless tire is with a plug. Plugs are supposedly not as safe as a patch, however, I would use one on my tires if the tire has little or no life left. A plug can be installed without any special tools other than the rasp and the plug insertion tool and if you have a compressor, this can be done in the field.

Rather than attempt a poor repair, one would be much better off installing the spare tire and then taking the flat tire to a qualified service facility for repair.

Reply to
Ray O

You got it! I'm not sure how it has been for you but I'm seldom able to cancel the rest of the day for "a proper tire repair" or spend 45 min intercourseing with a spare tire - when in less than 5 min I can fill the offending tire with slime or whatever and be on my way. The same goes for using a plug on the road. I had two truck tires fail (way TF out in the stick at critical work) at the same time and made it to a repair facility - that did not honor warranties - except by mail order etc. just spent the cash and gave the sob the old tires that he said would promptly mail in for his own profit ...

I have never had a problem with plugs and at least so far - regard them as standard repair. A proper scientific tire repair would no doubt cost in excess of $60 - the cost of a new tire plus all the time involved at either work or vacation. Not a good option.

Sorry if this sound slightly emotional but I fail to see any advantage except a chance to sell technology for its own sake. Is it a fear of hi speed blowouts? Just the physical danger of doing a tire change on either a fwy, street or road could really cancel everything IMHO. j

Reply to
joe

It usually takes me less than 5 minutes to change the spare. I opted for the lifetime puncture repair when I got my tires at Sears so I just stop by after work to have the flat repaired and put back on the car.

I have not had problems with plugs either. A proper repair would involve the use of a mushroom-shaped plug that is installed from the inside of the tire. A dismount-repair-remount-rebalance probably costs around $45.

Studies have shown that the majority of the vehicles on the road have under-inflated tires, which increases the chances of a blowout. The TREAD act will require all passenger cars to have a tire pressure monitoring system so you are starting to see some early implementation.

Reply to
Ray O

This must be part of a fuel saving program?

It is my understanding that the sensor on my S will only detect differential pressure. So if all four tires are running at a sloppy

25 psi all is fine per the sensors. I should have 35-40 psi.

Is there any real difference between the different 'slime' or any of the fix a flat products? They probably have all become non flammable.

joe

Probably a combination of fuel savings and safety. The Firestone Tire - Ford Explorer rollover problem was attributed to low tire pressure.

I believe that your understanding is correct, however, the likelihood that all four tires will lose air at the same rate is pretty slim.

I've never used any of those products so I do not know if there is any difference in them. Slime is water based and supposedly sensor-safe. I've seen tires broken down that had those products inside and they are pretty messy.

Reply to
Ray O

I think I saw Slime - but not in a pressure bottle. The beauty is to both fix and inflate at the same time.

Will it harm anything else to just ignore any sensor lights and warnings?

In a few years when I need tires I'm inclined to just go to my old tire place and have them check/rework the brakes if needed. Any tire warranty is not worth my time or trouble. Besides a tire plug kit, and a few tools I also carry a $15 compressor and a can of fix a flat stuff. j

Reply to
joe

I think you have to remove the valve stem in order to use Slime. Squeeze the stuff in, inflate the tire, and start spinning rapidly to distribute the stuff.

Supposedly not with Slime, I'm not so sure about the Fix a Flat stuff.

You should have the brake check more often than every few years. I'd check every other oil change when you rotate the tires.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe the real question is is why does everyone have to put up with these stupid sensors just because a few people can't be bothered to check their tire pressure on a regular basis.

Reply to
timbirr

Studies show that it is more than just a few people who can't be bothered to check their tire pressure on a regular basis. It's more like the 90-10 rule, where 90% don't check and the 10% who do have to live with the consequences.

Reply to
Ray O

Not all Fix-a-flat in non-flammable. I've seen a lot of it that uses propane as the propellant.

It also often contains ammonia, and that will corrode the heck out of your rims and valve. It's probably not very good for the rubber either.

The advice I've been given is to never leave Fix-a-flat in for more than 48 hours. You should also warn anyone who will be working on the tire that there is Fix-a-flat inside.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

After hearing all the pro and con - (so far!) - I'm getting some of that "whatever generic pressurized flat fixer" that is non flammable. I fully intend to ignore the sensors. Will the sensors block the liquid/foam that I will be injecting the first time I have a flat?

I agree that the tires should be rotated and brakes checked every

10-15 k miles. j
Reply to
joe

Perhaps I have just been lucky with the brands I have used. I have generally kept cars way past 10 years often 15-20+ years and I'm frankly not aware of any corrosion problem anywhere from anything? (Some I got with a co I purchased) I have ALWAYS left the stuff in and regarded a problem flat eliminated and done.

Are you just speculating or do you have some actual proof?

joe

If the sensors are the kind that are inside the valve stem, then yes, they will probably block the liquid/foam. If you Sienna has the low pressure warning system that detects difference in air pressure, then there is no sensor inside the wheel/tire.

Reply to
Ray O

Other than by doing - how can I find out if the stems are blocked. The manual only says: ... system is designed to provide warning when tire inflation pressure of one of the tires is critically low while the vehicle is moving.

further on they talk about same size and construction and correct size

- to function properly.

Does this tell us anything? (Just hate to attempt to look for a live one at the dealership)

joe

The warning about all of the tires being the correct size leads me to believe that there are no sensors, and IIRC, the Sienna does not use separate air pressure sensors.

If you really want to be sure and you have access to an air compressor and a valve stem tool, just remove the inner valve from one of the valve stems, and after all the air has rushed out see if you can stick something thin like a coffee stir stick through the stem. If there is no obstruction, than you can re-install the valve stem, and re-fill the tire.

Reply to
Ray O