Car battery flat voltage reading?

Car wouldnt;start, now just a "click" when you try and start it. Using a multi meter the battery reading is 12.26v. Does this sound right? I
would of thought if the battery was weak/flat it would be below 12? What's going on?
"Alf Higgins" <AH> wrote in message

Hmm, I'd have thought with this sort of voltage you'd at least hear it veryyyy slowwwly try turn over then die. The click suggests that the starter motor is engaging, but it isn't turning the engine over.
Get a jump start and see if it works, if not, I'd be looking to replace the starter motor.
Check the voltage at the starter motor while someone else turns the key to start. Check the main battery power first and then the small wire on solinoid from ign switch. Make sure to earth your multi-meter on engine, not battery. If you get a voltage drop when key is turned then bad connection somewhere, otherwise dodgy starter.
JOhn
"Alf Higgins" <AH> wrote in message

from Alf Higgins <AH> contains these words:

Near enough, but what matters is the voltage on load. First, however, I'd check for loose connections, feed and earth. Also, find the starter and give the small cylinder that's likely piggybacked onto it a good whack with the handle of a big screwdriver, preferably while trying to start it.
--
Skipweasel
Never knowingly understood. (Ivor Cutler)
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:33:48 -0000, Alf Higgins <AH> wrote:

That's the unloaded voltage, switch the headlamps on & see if they dim massively when you turn the key, if so you've got a flat battery (or a losse connection)
Alf Higgins <AH> wrote:

12.26v from a good battery would easily start the car. If it won't, you've got a dead cell in the battery.
--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.