fuel pump and chk engine light is on with ignition switch in off position...??

Fuel pump runs and chk engine light is on with ignition switch in off position...??

Last night my I parked and I tried to start the engine it would not start, The strange is that the check engine light was still on even with ignition key off and the fuel pump was still running. Last week I was having problems with a shorted wire that runes from the computer to the fuel pump relay. A mechanic bypassed the relay. He said that he has done this before with no problems. Perhaps the ignition switch gas gone bade But I can still crank the engine..?

Reply to
hizark21

Rather than bypassing the fuel pump relay, the proper repair is to fix the damaged wiring. Leaving the car in that condition can damage the computer and ruin the battery. I'd bet that the work that the mechanic did is causing the symptoms.

Reply to
Ray O

I tend to agree, I disconnected the battery. It does seem strange that the computer is connected to the fuel pump relay. I tried disconnecting jumper and it reverted back to a no power to fuel pump condition.

Reply to
hizark21

Perhaps it would be simpler to run a new wire from the computer to the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
hizark21

The fuel pump only works when the engine is cranking or running, so the computer controls the relay, which controls the pump. Before you run a new wire, see if you can find the short and repair the insulation.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
hizark21