Fuel System Cleaner that works?

Toyota dealer suggested a $20 fuel system cleaner, but I already put some Techron in at the suggestion of a friend. It cleaned up his O2 sensor and eliminated the error code. The engine is running a bit smoother, but not right yet after 100 miles. I've had Sea Foam suggested by a mechanic, but haven't seen great results. Any other suggestions on something that will work? Engine is running a bit rough and no, I can't change the fuel filter. It's in the fuel tank :(

Reply to
Michael Dobony

What makes you think a fuel system cleaner will fix the problem? Any symptom other than running a bit rough? Did the error code go away automatically, or did you reset it? What else have you done to address the concern? How many miiles on the engine?

Excessive use of fuel system cleaners is noto a good thing. Of the ones avaialble I like the Techron clean-up product the best, but it can't fix basic mechanical or electrical problems. If the rough running is at idle, it is unlikely the problem is related to the fuel filter. If it is really somesort of problem with the injectors, then you may need to have a real mechanic look at it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I had a similar experience with a Dodge Van. Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. YMMV

Reply to
NotMe

Techron a couple of times. Techron is good.

I had a 125K Lexus ES that responded *very* well to a dozen or so tanks of Shell 93, then maintained well with Shell 87. Fuel mileage went noticeably up.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So the Toyota mechanic is not a real mechanic?

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Suggesting adding more Seafoam or any fuel system cleaner as a cure after you already tried Techron is suspect. A real Toyota mechanic will have the tools to determine the cause of the rough running.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The EPA requires all gasoline sold for road use to include an "effective" level of fuel system cleaner. However, not all companies use the same fuel cleaner systems or the same amount of the cleaner. And although gasoline may come down the same pipeline, or be delivered by the same truck, this does not mean that the gasoline has the same fuel cleaners. The fuel system cleaners can be added at the distributor, or the gasoline coming down the pipeline can be separated into different batches. Trucks have multiple compartments for different products. For sure Shell gasoline and Chevron gasoline has different additive packages. I assume cheaper brands have a more generic fuel system cleaner package, but they all have something.

Mostly I agree with the idea that there is little advantage in buying one brand over another. I think it is more important to buy from stations that have a lot of turn over (i.e., sell a lot of gas). If pressed, I'd conceede that Chevron gasoline is probably slightly better than Shell, and Shell is better than Exxon, etc and branded gasoline might be slightly better than unbranded gasoline. But the differences are minor and I think more modern cars are better able to cope with the cheaper brands (better tolerance to impurities). Persoanlly, I usually buy from the cheapest "clean" station I routinely pass buy. This means I buy a lot of Hess or Costco gasoline. Occasionally one of the local BP stations is competitive and the Murphy USA stations near the local Wal*Marts are someties the cheapest. I am not above buying from a "Raceway" or "Lowes Food" station if one of them is the cheapest. On the other hand, when your car only hold 11 gallons per fill-up, it is not worth a lot of time looking for something a penny cheaper.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In California, some brands have no refinery serving the area so they have reciprocal agreements for providing fuel. I.e. Arco is probably the largest seller of gasoline in Northern California due to their pricing system (no credit cards accepted at most Arco stations, and a fee for debit card use, but much lower prices) but they have no refinery and are supplied by the Shell refinery. In Southern California, Arco supplies Shell. This has been going on for a long time, .

I doubt if the refineries make special batches of gasoline that are different for the different stations they supply, though it's possible that they dump in some different additives when filling the tankers.

Reply to
sms88

you got it.

Base gasoline is base gasoline. It's all about the additive packages--and those not only cost money, but some (Shell) have real value and I for one am happy to acquire that value at the Shell price.

To say "gasoline is gasoline, it's all the same" is to reveal a huge level of ignorance.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Other than the Shell advertising, do you have any proof that Shell gasoline is better? I know before Chevron gobbled up Texaco, Texaco used to have "literature" that "proved" their gasoline was better than some unidentified competitor's product. I know Chevron claims Techron is a superior cleaning agent (I even believe this) but I have no personal experience that one gasoline is better than other. In fact, all my experience points in the opposite direction. No one else in my family has purchased "branded" gasoline regualrly for at least 15 years. My older sister never buys anything but the cheapest gasoline she can find. My mother lives in an area where the only real option is Hess, or some local brand ("Freedom"). My SO mostly buys from Sheetz (a food / gasoline chain around here) or Murphy USA or "Rose Mart." None of these drivers have had any fuel system related problems. I can't see how they would have been any better off if they had paid an extra 5 to 10 cent per gallon for Shell Gas (particualy my Mother, since the nearest Shell station is 18 miles further down the road than the Hess station). I used to go out of my way to buy Texaco (before they were gobbled up) and then BP ro Shell, but I've stopped doing that becasue I can't see the benefit.

While I agree there are differences, are the differences really meaningful? I am sure Shell (or BP, or Chevron) can provide studies that their gasoline is better than something, but is that something representative of what I can buy at the local Hess (or Murphy, or Raceway) station?

The Shell site

has a picture of a valve with some gunk and one that is much cleaners, but how significant is the difference. The difference is not near as dramatic as the Texaco literature I remember from their System 3 Promo from 10 years or so ago. The site also claims Shell V-Power has "five times more cleaning agents than required by federal standards." Is five times that much better? Why not 10 times? And since the federal standards don't specify the exact type of cleaning agent, is it possible a smaller amount of different cleaning agent might be as good or better thanthe Shell system? Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Honda and Toyota and BMW, to name three entities, all say so.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Here in Missouri it makes a big difference! All are required to add alcohol to their gas (not 93 octane or higher) and some brands put more in than others.

I think it is more important to buy from stations that

Noticeable difference in some stations as far as gas mileage and smooth idle. There are a few popular gas stations around whose gas causes many problems in my vehicles. Will not use them again.

If pressed, I'd conceede

I normally get gas at WalMart when possible, but there is one that caused a

3 mpg drop on a trip and I will not go there again.

I am not above

It is worth spending a few extra cents to avoid bad gas.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

.

I knew a driver and he went to several brand stations. Each had their own additives.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

> has a picture of a valve with some gunk and one that is much cleaners, but > how significant is the difference. The difference is not near as dramatic as > the Texaco literature I remember from their System 3 Promo from 10 years or > so ago. The site also claims Shell V-Power has "five times more cleaning > agents than required by federal standards." Is five times that much better? > Why not 10 times? And since the federal standards don't specify the exact > type of cleaning agent, is it possible a smaller amount of different > cleaning agent might be as good or better thanthe Shell system?>

Why don't you check out Consumer Reports. Decades ago it made a difference. Haven't checked lately. Shell, Phillips 66 and one other brand stood out at the time.

Reply to
Michael Dobony