funny noise

My 97 Camry is making a whirring or whizzing sound similar to bearings from the front right side of the engine compartment. This noise occurs when first started up and goes away after a few miles of driving.

I haven't looked yet but suspect a water pump or A/C compressor. It makes no difference if A/C is on or off so I'm leaning toward water pump. Any ideas?

97 Camry 4 128K miles Timing belt replaced at 120K miles and water pump checked good by dealer.
Reply to
badgolferman

Use a screwdriver with a long shank to pinpoint the source of the noise. If it is coming from under the timing belt cover, then the belt, belt tensioner, and water pump are suspect.

Reply to
Ray O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I'd vote for the belt tensioner, since my '97 does just the same thing, quieting down as the engine warms up. I don't think it's the water pump, since it was replaced with the timing belt about 20,000 miles ago. Mine has

133,000 miles now. Since it's not gotten louder over time, I've left it alone.
Reply to
mack

Um, I ran the one on my Corolla GT-S like that for about 75,000 miles!

Reply to
Hachiroku