VW 2000 Passat with whining noise

I have a 2000 Passat turbo that recently making a whining noise. This noise get worst everytime I accelerate. It sounds like a crying cat tied to my engine. I like to do some research before i took them to the shop. Could it be the fan belt? if it is, how do you think it would cost me? Please give me some input. I am clueless when it comes to cars. Thanks in advance

Reply to
superastee

I think that car would have a serpentine belt that does not drive the fan, and it could be that. I am not familiar with that car, and many of the people who post here are. If they have a different opinion, they are probably right.

Look at the belt, and you might get an indication. The tensioner could be going bad. Replacing that would probably be a good idea. A failed tensioner could cause the belt to fail. You would want to loosen the tension and check that every pulley turns easily by hand, except for the crankshaft pulley.

Now since you have a turbo, it could be related to that. A serpentine belt is on other cars too. But perhaps yours is harder to get to than some, and in that case the expert help may save you a lot of time and pain.

If you are looking to change that situation, then you could probably consider doing the job yourself. It is the kind of thing that is easier than a lot of things, and doesn't take a lot of special tools. You would want to get a Bentley book if you plan to do such things. I am suspecting you might save maybe $100 or $200 or so by doing it yourself depending on whether you include a tensioner or not. Replacing the tensioner is probably worthwhile, even if it does not show a symptom. If you search, you can find discussions of re-lubricating tensioners, tho they are not intended to be lubricated, I don't think.

is a goodsource for parts, tho I am sure others are good too. In any case, don't postpone this for a month.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I found a hose off of the Secondary Air Pump (Output side) broken on a '99.5 Passat 1.8t. Whenever I accelerated it the noise would sound more like a musical note or two notes actually. Kinda cool to hear it make that noise(s). lol That hose must be worth gold since it is a plastic piece of 18" hose that costs $63 at the dealer. 8^o It is patched with duct tape and zipties until I replace it next week. It also caused the Engine Check light to pop on.

How many miles on your engine? Might be water pump, tensioner bearing, a/c compressor, alternator, power steering pump low on fluid, or ???

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Only whining noise from my 01 Jetta is from the driver who faces intermittant "emissions workshop", "EPC", engine icons, etc that come and go for no good reasons. OBC sez "P0302" cylinder 2 misfire.

That and $20.00 /qt. engine coolant cause incessant whining.

Reply to
hayseed