good buys for a 4afe engine?

Hey, I have a 94 Corolla that the old engine freezed up on. It suffered from a lack of oil changes before I started caring for it. Eventually the sludge clogged the oil screen and, to keep it simple, it had an aneurysm.

I got a junkyard 4AFE engine for about $200 and replaced it myself. I hadn't done this before so I didn't want to put too much money into it. The job wasn't as hard as I thought it might be, and the car is running again. The new engine isn't that great though. It knocks somewhere in the cams and seems to run rich even though I replaced the O2 sensor.

Since I know how to do it now, I'd like to put a new or pro-rebuilt engine in this car. So, my question is where the best place to find one is. Should I keep on the local hunt (Tampa Bay)? are these foreign sales on Ebay a good deal? Any other places to order? Seems like prices run from $550 for as-is to $900 for clean, and more for something fancy. I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks.

john.

Reply to
Ferg

Some Japanese engine require a rewiring of the harness and the ECU to operate properly. Look on E-Bay at Supras or Corolla GTS' that say "JDM engine swap started". Because itr can be a bitch to do correctly.

However, if you keep the intake and manifolds from your old engine and don't want a power upgrade this can be done. Also, check Toyota. For what you spend for a Japanese engine you can sometimes get a *new* shortblock from Toyota.

And you say 'knock'. A knock is usually in the lower part of the engine and indicates a bearing or rod on the way out. if it's a clicking it may be normal valve noise, or the valves need shimming.

Reply to
Hach

If you are hearing noise from the top end of the engine, try checking valve lash first. It may only need a valve adjustment.

Reply to
Ray O