Guess I shoulda left the pan on, eh? And I have NO IDEA how much fluid!

And the first kind was just the kind it was.

I did away with the cork gasket and gooped it with real Toyota FIPG. This time I let it SIT for a couple hours before starting it and then took it for a drive 3 hours later.

MUCH better!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have not seen a cork gasket in a pretty long time - even some wine bottles have synthetic corks now!

Reply to
Ray O

I think that happened because the cork gasket allowed the pan to deform. If you cannot hammer them back into position, you will need an extra heavy dose of FIPG or a new pan. :-(

Reply to
Ray O

I got an Ingersoll-Rand pneumatic angle die grinder from Harbor Freight and use a Scotch pad - works like a charm and also comes in handy when scuffing rotors.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL! To paraphrase you, I gave them a kinetic adjustment, used about 3/4 tube of FIPG and put them on one turn past hand tight. I was afraid of the new pan, too, but so far it looks good...no leaking, and no "cloud" following me on my test drive.

I think what happened was I was a little *eager* to test it, and I was also late for rehearsal, so I gooped the pan, added the gasket, gooped the gasket, and waited a whole 10 minutes before firing up the car. I guess the goop I used (clear-blue) never got a chance to set. Where it did bond to the pan, it was pretty tough getting it off! But mostly it bonded with the gasket, and 3/4 of the gasket just pulled right off.

The only place it didn't just pull right off was the side that was leaking, and that's probably because the exhaust pipe cooked it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

NOW he tells me! I have the die grinder but have never used it.

Reply to
Hachiroku