Had my timing belt and water pump changed

All: Well, I bit that bullet and had my 1998 Avalon's timing belt and water pump changed today. I also had some new drive belts put in. Still runs smoothly; although, I notice a bit more of a whining noise when the car is in idle. Whew, I am glad THAT is over. :-)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

All: I forgot one thing. I asked the mechanic for the old belts and pump for examination. Now, where do I dump them? Do I take them to a public junk dumping ground or what?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

Maybe this will help:

JoeSpareBedroom

throw the belts in the garbage, and the pump in the recycling bin.

Reply to
Ray O

examination. Now, where do I dump

Trash the old timing belt, and put the water pump in your recycle bin if they take metals.

Old fan belts are marginally useful if they aren't already way too far gone and visibly cracking and failing - If you don't carry a new belt, toss the old belt in on top of the spare tire.

If your fan belt breaks halfway between Death Valley Junction and Baker (IE the proverbial "middle of nowhere") and you are carrying a set of basic hand tools, you can install the old fan belt as an emergency measure. As long as it lasts the 50 or 100 miles you need to go as you drive back to civilization, having a spare belt with you (even a used one) can be worth it's weight in gold.

You can count on a passerby picking you up, but I hate leaving that kind of stuff to chance. Your luck, it'll be a day or more before someone comes that way again - and Death Valley can see 140F during the day and 40F that night...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'd think the car will become quieter so maybe you want to identify where the whine is coming from. Now did they change out the idler and tensioner pulleys? And cam/crank oil seals?

changed today. I also had some

a whining noise when the car is in idle.

Reply to
johngdole

Whining is often a case of an over-tightened cam belt...

Reply to
Coyoteboy