Hi-Mileage Oil -- Success?

Last , oh what was it June?, I needed to do an oil change.

Went to the local discount/drug/department store and "regular" oil was going for something like $2.85 to $3.29 a quart. YIKES!

But they had some "high-mileage" Quaker State or Pennzoil or Valvoline, honestly don't remember, but it was one of the big names -- on sale for something like $1.85 a quart.

The rig is an '87 Corolla with something like 280K on it. It had been using about a quart or so every 1.5 to two months. So, went with the hi-mile stuff, purely on price.

Well, drained that out in the fall and replaced with regular Havoline. The Havoline was replaced with regular Quaker State the first of January.

The point is that the car is not using oil anymore....Never really believed in that hi-mile stuff....and still would not pay a great premium for it, but if the price is comparable, I'll buy it again.

As I said, I only used it once in three oil changes and it seems to have done the job for me.

Reply to
timbirr

All vendor label high-mileage as >75,000 miles.

THAT'S HIGH MILEAGE?!!! Maybe when my Grandpa was feeling lucky with his 38 Chevy went 100K. Nowadays if ANY car don't go 150K, it's a POS.

On that alone, I don't trust it, but hey, if they are cheaper... give it a try like u say, what the hey. :)

Reply to
bobb

POS? Point of sale?

75,000 mi is still a lot of miles. But cars are last longer than ever before, even those made by the Michigan 3.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Agreed, if cars today don't last 150K miles, it's POS. Or piece of feces, excrement, etc

Reply to
johngdole

US west coast Kragen/Schucks have oil specals, usually < $0.89 after rebate. Check those. I think a good oil filter, like Bosch Filtech or Purolator PureOne (not the cheaper Premium Plus).

High Mileage I think better refers to the oil stem seals and o-rings in contact with engine oil. Rubber components start to harden around

50K miles in the upper engine. Just compare the cam seals you pull out with new ones. The additive WILL swell the rubber in most cases (will shrink in a minority of cases), but looks like it worked for you!! Great.

Reply to
johngdole