Hot Front Left Rotor

Was it the slides? - Jack

Reply to
Ralph

I'd have to get the bill out and that's in the car. I will try to remember tomorrow.

Reply to
C Yohman

YIKES!!!!!

But as Ray said, I'd bet the piston was OK, but the slides were stuck. Too bad you aren't adept with a screwdriver, it would have cost you $39 for a generic 'Dremel' tool, $6 for Emory cloth and $3 for Syl-Glide...

But then again, you're looking at about an hour, and what is time worth?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Or maybe $41 for a whole new rebuilt caliper - just swap it in.

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

And what some people fail to notice is that while you could have easily done this, most of us with little to no car knowledge know what we're doing and you go from fixing probably a minor problem to possibly creating a larger problem and a more expensive fix. Of course, $168 is an expensive lesson and probably one that won't be repeated but it's still probably cheaper than had he tried himself and created more problems costing more $$.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I wish!

Better yet:

Hachiroku

That's why I try to answer peoples' questions. Of course, it helps if people ask before they start a project instead of in the middle of a project!

Reply to
Ray O

Exactly.

I did kick myself a month or two ago when I had a horrible vibration sound that ended up being the plastic guard underneath the car. I guess it's plastic -- reinforced plastic? Some kind of splash shield? Anyway, I also noticed the O2 sensor near the cat which I have had replaced. I had no idea it was that easily accessible with the car jacked up. Not only was it accessible, it didn't appear that it took any special tools to remove it either. Looked pretty straight forward. Wish now I would have tried it... oh well.

Reply to
mrsteveo

OK, 39 or 52 or 78 dollars (all Supra calipers I suppose of varying quality?), similar neighborhood and one gets a new rebuilt full braking system versus refurbishing it on one's own and 'probably' solving the problem .

Everything must be more expensive on that Supra, eh? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That is what I am preparing to do on the Sienna. Have not looked at it yet and am glad to hear that you think it will be easy. A real confidence builder... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

(Actually, I looked later and saw the cheaper calipers...)

I bought rebuilts at Autozone for $55 each. I did them a few months apart. The first one was well done and looked new. The second one was well done and looked new, except the opening where the slider goes that someone had peened over with a hammer. It's replacement looked great...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Re: Hot Front Left Rotor Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Thu, Apr 10, 2008, 8:44pm From: snipped-for-privacy@here.net (Tomes)

That is what I am preparing to do on the Sienna. Have not looked at it yet and am glad to hear that you think it will be easy. A real confidence builder... Tomes

I wouldn't do anything ( I wasn't familar with ) without a repair manual..They're priceless if you're going to keep the vehicle.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano