Mondeo/MOT /Front Springs Broken

My '98 Mondeo has just failed the MOT on the front springs...Both broken....garage says it is a common problem today with the condition of the roads ..... . Would I not have noticed this in driving the car ...?????

2 x £40 plus £70 to fit ...Total £150 ..That seem reasonable ?? Plus the cost of the test ...Suppose it could hev been worse . Stuart
Reply to
Stuart

Yes, the sleeping police are the problem. Probably only the last coil has snapped, you would not notice, but it is a failure. The cost is quite acceptable IME. You could do it cheaper yourself, but you need quite a few tools.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi Stuart,

Just recently had the same problem with a Daewoo Lanos - but on the rear end - and that cost me around £150 for the garage to supply and fit two springs.

To be quite honest, mine had broken right on the bottom coil and I really didn't notice a problem with the handling but there was some damage to the spring seatings where the broken ends were pushing down on an unsupported area.

As a matter of interest, there were two other MOT failures in that garage for the same problem that week.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Sounds reasonable

Not neccesarily

Yep.

Reply to
SimonJ

Yeah...the guy ( a small independent) said he had done several recently ...where I stay those upturned canoes,speed bumps,sleeeping policemen ..call them what you will...are everywhere plus the state of our wonderful roads ...At least with the man made bumps you can see them coming . Stuart Remove THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Picked up the car tonight .

No advisories this year but last year( just over 2 thou ago) the wishbone bushes were ,altho' I didn't do anything about them .It was the same guy who tested it both times .

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

my 97 Fiesta failed on somehting to do with the suspension - may be what you are describing also cost over £100 to fix.....i did notice a rattle when i was driving it before which has gone now, so i am happy.

Reply to
mo