How did Toyota do that?

I don't think BMW's new Tiptronics and GM's new 6T/6L clutch-to-clutch transmissions even have drain and fill plugs! So these will LITERALLY be lifetime fills.

Reply to
johngdole

So the lifetime ATF is due to the transmission design or due to the type of ATF?

Reply to
EdV

I would think the fluid if there is any actual increase in usable service time. But I guess reducing heat can help too though.. But the part I don't like about long term ATF use is the common sludge that will build up. Mainly in the pan, but that it is even sludging up the pan is a sign to me that it needs to be changed. Being I plan to keep mine long term if possible, I'd rather be on the safe side and have clean fluid. I think 30-40k is a reasonable length of time before doing a "change or two" to clean up the fluid. IE: at say 40k, change the fluid at that oil change and then do it again the next time you change the oil. That should hold it another 30-40 k I would think. Some may be dirt, but I think a lot of that sludge is actually very fine metal particles that settle to the pan from the fluid. I don't like the idea of fine metal particles turning my fluid into liquid sandpaper, and then settling into the pan. I'd rather dump the particles and get clean fluid every once in a while. I'd still like to change mine soon. I changed the oil today, but didn't get around to the ATF. One reason is I want to make sure I'm getting decent fluid. I may splurge and get the OEM juice just to be on the safe side. I need to check my manual and see what it says as far as ATF type. BTW, when I change my tranny fluid, I drive the car and get it good and hot, same as I do when I change my oil. That way more of the dirt gets suspended in the oil/fluid, and gets drained out. Drains quicker too. MK

Reply to
nm5k

They are serviceable. Plugs are not essential.

Reply to
witfal

Supposedly both.

Reply to
witfal

I'm sorry C.E., but I don't know that p/n of the fluid. What does the stamping read on the dipstick for fluid requirements? It usually says there.

Like you mentioned in sticking with the OEM fluid, is always good. Some manufacturers of equivalent after market fluid strike a compromise for multi use applications and may formulate to a slightly lower performance level to accomplish that.

Reply to
user

On Dec 6, 11:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote: I think 30-40k is a reasonable

Thanks! Driving in severe conditions, according to my manual, ATF should be changed at 60K miles. I'll think about mine again after 42K miles =) Maybe there would be more post regarding this subject based on owners experience, if they drain and fill at 40K.

Reply to
EdV

"C. E. White" wrote in message news:4757f1c7$1@kcnews01...

"Given Toyota's notoriously bad Customer Service"

There is no pleasing some people...

One time my new girl friend ran her engine out of oil. Well

4 quarts low when I found out. After that it she only made it to the freeway before it blew a big hole in the block.

Her warranty only had a few thousand miles left on it and nobody even mentioned maintenance. Good thing to because because the engine was five grand and she had no maintenance records if it was even done.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Well, if they say 60k, that is probably ok. I would just picking a random number to use if they gave no time line to use.

30-40k seemed about right as far as keeping it fairly clean, but not going into overkill, and wasting excess money. The cleaner the fluid stays, the better though. MK
Reply to
nm5k

"Our?" That may be your favorite book, it certainly isn't mine. :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Changing the ATF at 48,000 miles on the new "lifetime" ATF-filled transmissions is overkill. If you want to play it safe, follow the severe conditions maintenance schedule.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray, What would you do? Follow toyota recommendation or play it safe?

Reply to
EdV

I'd change the ATF somewhere between 60 and 90 k miles.

Reply to
Ray O

Its nice to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't believe Toyota recommendation anymore. But I will still use Toyota Required ATF when the time comes.

Reply to
EdV

I doubt if the transmission would be damaged if you didn't change the ATF under normal driving conditions, but just to be on the safe side...

Reply to
Ray O