M90 gearbox - Oil?

Volvo 940 turbo 1996, M90 gearbox. Anybody who knows what type of oil to use? I asked Volvo, and they came up with a specific volvo number. A very expensive oil, costs almost half of my left arm...

Any better suggestion?

Reply to
Knut Solem

I'd just dump some Redline MTL in there, it'll work fine. They claim it's acceptable to use in *any* manual gearbox. I've been running it in my M46's for years, surprisingly it made shifting noticeably smoother.

Reply to
James Sweet

"Knut Solem" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:hYWdnbN snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com...

I do not know the exact answer, but in my 745 and 850 the manuals clearly says what to use, i.e. specification, not Volvo part number. So what does your manual say? Then just buy a product with at least the same specs or better you get in Norway. Or ask the Volvo dealer for the specs of the suggested Volvo part number.

Regards

Viktor

The e-mail in the header is never read personal e-mail vikwei at gmx dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

"Knut Solem" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:hYWdnbN snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com...

Seems to be trickier than I would have expected, but I think I have solved it now.

From the VADIS for the B200FT engine(?):

940/960 (M90) Oil quality ........ Volvo P/N 11 61 423-7

850 (gearbox/final drive) Oil quality ........ Volvo P/N 11 61 423-7

So the 850 manual uses the same as the M90 in the 940

When looking in my 850 manual I only find the specification Dexron-II for my automatic gear box and - surprise - none for the manual gear box.

The Haynes manual says: Manual transaxle lubricant....Volvo synthetic transmission oil or equivalent. Nothing again.

I remember I have been at a website of an oil company where lubricants could be searched by car manufacturer.

I tried the Finnish oil company Neste and they have a product recommendation place on their website. You may start with

and choose Swedish language or go directly the the Swedish website of Neste:

The result for your manual gear box is:

Växellåda, manuell 5/1 2,3 liter Produkt: Neste ATF-G

The product data sheet says, it is a:

NESTE ATF-G Automatic transmission oil Ford M2C-33F/G Ford SQM-2C9007AA

So I think you might find some cheaper ATF-G fluid from one of the "normal" companies where you live.

Check out yourself also, you should arrive at the same conclusion yourself, too.

Regards

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

"viktor weisshaeupl" skrev i melding news:f0cr2f$loh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

---cut---

Thanks Viktor! Investigation started....

Your answer helps a lot. I'll try to translate this to other brands. Please wait for result...

Reply to
Knut Solem

"Knut Solem" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com...

The Austrian oil company OMV also has a product finder

in English. Products - Lubes - OMV Oil Finder, there you also can enter car data. You end up with product:

OMV austromatic F - maybe they have more info on it if you search.

Regards

Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

Volvo 940 turbo 1996, M90 gearbox. Anybody who knows what type of oil to use? I asked Volvo, and they came up with a specific volvo number. A very expensive oil, costs almost half of my left arm...

Any better suggestion? Seems to be trickier than I would have expected, but I think I have solved it now. ---cut--- Check out yourself also, you should arrive at the same conclusion yourself, too.

Regards Thanks Viktor! Investigation started....

Your answer helps a lot. I'll try to translate this to other brands. Please wait for result...

--------------020906060108040605020402--

Reply to
klh in VA

"klh in VA" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%5rWh.150$1M1.109@trnddc01...

Not necessarily al oil products are expensive in Nordic countries. Teboil in Finland sells a synthetic API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 ACEA E7, E5, E3/B3 5-40 diesel engine oil,

at least 2 years ago for about 6 Euros/liter, actually meant for heavy vehicles but I have been using it for many years in my 745 TD and have started to use it in the 855 TDI, too. Oils not even API/CG spec are available from about 13 Euros up here. People in
a German Volvo-Website, talk about 20 Euros/liter for the Volvo M90 gear oil at the Volvo dealer in Germany