GPS Navigation any good?

Are the GPS packages really any good? The GM thing can apparently be miles off or slow. Same difference. The stand alone ones run $400-600 so at that price one may as well get
a laptop based one - with a GPS package. What works? Did a google and found nothing useful. joe

Looking at a laptop while driving. There's a good idea. You, too, can drive like an 18 year old, forever.
How about a paper map, and investing two minutes to look at it?
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:44:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Grasshopper - they talk to you these days <grin>. Not the bulky maps.

I understand that. A friend of mine still stops to check his visually because it tells him to take a right when there's nothing but ditches to the right, or curbs.

So that's why SUV's are so popular now!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message news:4d21c$455cc651>>

Sat Nav is great as long as you remember it's foolproof *not* damn foolproof!!
Joe Lauton wrote:

ive got my garmin ique plugged into the AUX port in my scion. no need to look at the screen :)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Or you could invest in a laptop version and have it shout the directions at you instead of having to look at it or stop. Sounds better to me.
In the vast majority of situations they work perfectly. Some of the more odd places (coastal locations etc) and very low inhabitance places they seem to send you down roads that arent exactly well maintained but if you dont drive in outback locations it wont be too much of a problem. Slow ? Not sure how they can be slow - once they've warmed up and located you they're realtime items. Miles off? Never. In heavy high-rise cities they can get a little confused i admit, but newer ones are better at maintaining location between lost signals.

Map: $3.00 Really fancy map book: $10.00
Nobody breaks into cars to steal maps. :-)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Cant imagine when you'd need to leave your laptop/GPS in the car - seems like stupidity to me. See your point but a lot of people at totally incapable of reading maps, even after training. I have done a fair bit of work teaching mapskills to people and some are just not capable of dealing with it lol. For them, GPS.

Give me 3 examples of places you'd travel, and take your laptop w/GPS, please.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

To a business meeting in a place i didnt know. Usually taking laptop anyway and need to be on time. To a friends new house who i hadnt visited before. Can take laptop inside no problem. To a hotel, again happy to leave laptop in the hotel room.
More's the point - where would you need to take a navigation aid and NOT require a laptop/gps with you? If im not going to somewhere strange/remote/new i dont need any sort of map - i generally go by my sense of direction and signs. Never had a problem yet. I have a map in my car but ive only used it once, and it was useless as it was not at the scale i needed (as they never are on the outskirts of cities).

I've had exposed film stolen in hotel rooms, so I'd be twitchy about leaving a laptop there. But, that's just me.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I go to reputable hotels, not seedy motels and with photographic equipment..... <grin>. You can always ask to leave things in the hotel safe? But seriously a PDA with GPS ability is tiny and fits in a jacket pocket. When could you not take that with you? They really stand out in town/city driving more than open highway anyways. As i say, ideal for the likes of my mother who'd like to concentrate on driving, not navigating, and just throw it in her bag when she gets there.
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:11:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Spoken like someone who's never used a good GPS.
I can read maps. In fact, I'm REALLY good with a map. Road, topo, aviation chart, whatever...
GPS, and the ability to operate it properly, freakin' rules!
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:37:53 GMT, Bonehenge

Amen!!!!
I notice my GPS system has voice recognition (DeLorme Street Atlas on a laptop).
I can ask it where I am and it will tell me.
Ever ask you wife?
ROFL
--

Scott in Florida

Based on the absolute truth about 95% of the drivers on the road, I don't like the idea of any more distractions being introduced. For some people, that equates to "more toys".
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Maybe so but ive seen more people reading maps for 30 seconds at a time while driving at 60 than ive seen pressing the odd button on a GPS for a fraction of a second. Its seems the stupid are still going to pick up a map even though its not a bright idea, so id rather they prodded at a screen a few times than block their view with paper.

Try asking over in newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav. It would be polite, of course, to download all the headers you can and see if someone else has already asked the question or one similar and then ask followups if it's already been addressed.
Or try this web site:
www.gpsinformation.net
One of the first few items on that page is a link to an article about "my first gps for automobile" and the utility of the site generally is high.
My $.02 - paper maps are the better value, unless you go so many different places you'd need a trunk full of them.
The screens on those auto units are kind of small and I also think there'd be an unfortunate tendency to start an "IFR driving style" (i.e., principally watching the screen, rather than the road), which could lead to "adverse outcomes in automotive itinerary execution."
As for the systems themselves, in decent conditions, GPS technology, with WAAS correction, can tell you "you are here" with impressive accuracy (to within 10 feet - or little more than the width of your lane). At least, they do so MOST of the time. Sometimes, not so hot. In the city, with tall buildings and obstructed sky views, you might have accuracy and multipath problems and your GPS could start lying to you. I have a handheld unit for walking and biking and, one day, it was entirely wrong by about a half mile for a portion of a 3 mile trip and my peak speed was about 1000 mph. Wow! That's pedalling!
Then there's the quality of the map database. If the map source is wrong, then you'll get interesting results from routing and directions. Mostly, I guess they're pretty good, or you'd hear more about their errors. New roads might not show up for a couple of years (I don't know) and closed roads might not go away for a couple of years (ditto).
Try those two resources. Good luck.

DH wrote:

I print up a set of paper printout maps, long shot, medium, close-up, etc. from my CD-ROM of Streets and Trips. They work out very well, including a distance indicator at the bottom border. Cheap, portable, and accurate. There is also a version called Autoroute that covers most of Europe.
I can't verify it, but I read a while ago that a fellow was driving his new big Mercedes-Benz car in Germany, and the talking nav. system told him to make a turn and then go straight. He did, right into the Rhine River. Whoops.
Good luck.
Morton Linder