How tricky is it to replace this bulb?

Hi all, My daughter just bought a '96 Corolla and found that the light that illuminates the Park, Reverse, Drive, etc. indicator has burnt out. Is this a tough one to replace? I remember once ripping apart the same thing in my Pathfinder and had some trouble getting it back together:) Thanks for any info. Gary

Reply to
algae

Is this the light in the instrument cluster or the one by the shifter?

Reply to
badgolferman

It shouldn't be too difficult if the lights are the ones in the center console. The dash is a little trickier. Once you have the console open, make sure that there is power to the connector for the lights.

Before you go through the trouble, make sure the dashboard dimmer on the left side of the dashboard is not turned down all the way.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL That's what happened with my mom and the '87 Corolla FX-16 I just sold her. "I had to drive home with no lights! (She thought the lights were out on the dash, but she had turned the dimmer 'off', thinking it was something she didn't need.)

Natalie, still chuckling about that one

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

More often than not, that's the reason behind most "no dash lights" complaints.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
algae

If the car has any aftermarket equipment like an audio or security system, start by checking any connections that may have been disturbed.

A Corolla shouldn't bee too tough to take apart.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
algae

It it is the lights on or near the dash indicating which gear is selected, and none of them work, it is not the bulb, but probably the selector switch on the transmission. The switch is expensive to replace, but it can be disassembled, the contacts cleaned, reassembled, and reinstalled, and that will probably fix the problem.

That exact same thing happened on my '87 Camry at about 100,000 miles. After cleaning the switch, all the lights worked EXCEPT the "D" (Drive) light, which was a burned out bulb. I didn't bother trying to change that one.

If it is the light in the center console, that could be the bulb, but should be easier to get to.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Sorry, I do not have any specific tips. When I disassemble something, I just look at how it is put together and have at it. Self-locking tabs sometimes have barbs behind that can be squeezed. Some trip clips have a button in the center than you can push in to release the tab.

Reply to
Ray O

I think she needs to sell it to me...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Softly, softly, catchee monkey...

Or, as a friend of mine once told me, "Gently, Motherf....., Gently!!!"

Use a flat screwdriver and GENTLY pry at the tabs just enough to release them. That's about the best I can do; expect to break one...it always happens :(

Reply to
HachiRoku

LOL I'll forward this message, but don't hold your breath

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

:8