Increasing fuel economy

Air contains a certain amount of oxygen depending on altitude. Suppose the oxygen intake was increased by just one to two percent (at sea level) without adding all the additional stuff that's in the air. Could the engine and mpg benefit by this or is the engine designed primarily for sea level and above (oxygen amount) range only? Has oxygenated gasoline made it impossible to add more thru an intake? Your thoughts?

Reply to
mark digital©

Search for Nitrous Oxide (NOx) boosters on the hot rod sites. Additional Oxygen can make a difference in some engine capabilities, but it might not be cost effective to add a small amount to seek improved mpg. But, then again, hot rodders have shown Detroit a thing or two.

Reply to
NeoPhyte_Rep

At higher altitudes, more air is required in engines to get the proper amount of O2 needed for optimum combustion. The air intake (hence the O2 intake) is adjusted automatically by modern cars via the electronic systems in them. In the old days, this was done by adjusted the carburetor for high altitude locations.

So it is already possible to adjust the amount of air (and O2) intake to some degree. Also, the principle behind turbochargers and superchargers is to force even more air into the engine to gain power, but this uses an additional amount of gas that is mixed with the extra air to achieve the increased power.

From "How Things Work":

"It turns out that there is a particular ratio of air and gasoline that is "perfect," and that ratio is 14.7:1 (different fuels have different perfect ratios -- the ratio depends on the amount of hydrogen and carbon found in a given amount of fuel). If there is less air than this perfect ratio, then there will be fuel left over after combustion. This is called a "rich" mixture. Rich mixtures are bad because the unburned fuel creates pollution. If there is more air than this perfect ratio, then there is excess oxygen. This is called a "lean" mixture. A lean mixture tends to produce more nitrogen-oxide pollutants, and, in some cases, it can cause poor performance and even engine damage."

Reply to
Mark A

If you are talking about a modern computer controlled engine, the answer is no.

Has oxygenated gasoline made it

MPG will not necessarily improve.

As Mark A posted, the optimal ratio of air to fuel is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. As air enters the throttle body, the amount of air is measured by a device like a mass air flow sensor so the engine knows how long to leave the injectors open (which controls the amount of fuel entering the engine). The oxygen sensor measures the amount of O2 in the exhaust and feeds this information back to the computer so it can further adjust fuel injector pulse duration. If there is more O2, then more fuel will be injected and MPG will go down. On the plus side, performance will improve, so things will pretty much be a wash.

Reply to
Ray O

In my limited experience, oxygenated gas leads to cleaner air, NOT more effeciency.

I suppose you could inject more air, but if all you needed was 2%, you could manage that with a straighter intake tract (track).

I own an '81 Jeep with the factory inline 6 that came with a carburator. I changed out hte carburation with a multi port fuel injection system (something yo guys have already), and I also put on a header system and low-restriction exhaust system. My fuel mileage went from something around

12 mpg to 18 mpg (for the combined city/highway driving tha tI do). Surely the MPFI was the greatest increase in effeciency, but the alterations to the exhaust system have to account for a fair amount of the improvement.

Since today's cars already have MPFI and they also have a pretty good exhaust system, I'm not sure that you can do much with your car in the driveway. Surely there is a limit of performance/efficiency that can be attained in current production cars and trucks.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On my '95 Tercel, I added a Pilot (pronounced CHEAP!) 'cold air intake'. It was basically a Mandrel bent tube with a big honkin' air cleaner, like the Ricers use. It did somewhat produce a noticable amount of OOMPH right off the line.

But, it also added about 4 MPG, basically because of the amount of air getting to the engine. I'd say it was worth the $50 over the course of

40,000 miles.
Reply to
Hachiroku

You want to add extra oxygen? Simple. Turbocharger, Supercharger. Forced induction - pump the air into the engine, and then you can add more fuel and stay at a nice stochiometric 14.7-1.

Suddenly, you just effectively lowered Denver Colorado or Mexico City to sea level, and you dropped sea level areas into the Dead Sea.

You might need to run Premium fuel for the added octane, but there's enough added benefit to make the difference.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There's two ratios involved here. One is the air/fuel ratio and then there is the oxygen/ air ratio. Let's say oxygen makes up 14% of the air. I suppose that no matter how "thin" the air is, like let's say 14,000 feet up, oxygen still only comprises 14% of the 50% available air compared to sea level. Isn't the reason why fuel efficiency drops at higher altitude because the engine is working harder to draw in air? Or am I all washed up on this? I know when I was up 14,000 feet it was strange to have to put more effort in drawing a breath although the wind was blowing. Maybe the oxygen to air mixture doesn't remain constant?? Or maybe it does but there's more pollutants up that high which interferes with metabolizing the oxygen? I'm getting a headache ;) just thinking about this.

Reply to
mark digital

The oxygen ratio stays fairly constant through winds and atmospheric circulation, though being in the middle of a forest with all the trees expirating oxygen will tend to skew it a bit higher - I'd guess a quarter percent at the most.

But due to the altitude the overall volume is lower. Meaning that you (or the car engine) have to work harder at moving through more of that thinner air to get the same volume of oxygen to work with.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

increasing the air without additional gas will make the engine run lean. The egr valve injects air into the ex for emissions

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

This isnt correct, the EGR injects exhaust gasses back into the intake to reduce nox imissions by reducing in-cylinder temps on cruise. This doesn lean or enrich the mixture as the exhaust gasses are inert.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

"Coyoteboy" wrote

IMO, even "inert" exhaust gases being back-channeled into the intake will change the resulting gas mixture in the cylinder, since only fresh air provides the ca. 21% oxygen content. However, the computer should compensate for it.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

I see where you are coming from and it would change the mixture if it were a carb'd car, but in EFI cars the ECU is aware of the EGR and knows to scale back the fuelling as there is now less oxygen in the cylinder fill - hence the mixture doesnt change due to its compensation as you say.

There are many myths about EGR and plenty of people remove them from performance cars to improve performance, not realising they know nothing of its theory of operation and that it doesnt affect performance as its only active in cruise conditions.

Coyoteboy