1990 Celica ST Auto. Trans. Problems

Hello there. I recently had a used transmission placed in my vehicle because my transmission would no longer drive in reverse. The new transmission seems to work alright, except there are two issues:

  1. It will not shift properly into second and third gear. Only rememdy is to place the vehicle in park and then try again. I can also get it to shift problem if I "manually" shift it from L to 2 to D.

  1. When slowing down or driving down hill, the transmission will sometimes slip erratically from 3rd to 2nd (it will do this many times until I press on the gas).

I changed the transmission fluid and it seemed to help. However, after a day and a half of driving the problems have returned. I am unsure of what remedy I could try. I have read information about changing the transmission filter and was wondering if this would be my best bet as a solution to this issue.

Any help that someone could provide me would be great. I am not exactly experienced with auto repair but anything I could attempt on my own could be most fun and save me some money!

Thanks!

Reply to
omnineko

When you say that it will not shift properly into second or third gear, do you mean when you select the 2 or D position with the lever or when the transmission is shifting automatically in D with the OD on?

Replacing the transmission filter is not likely to cure the condition. The filter is actually just a screen that is designed to catch any metal shavings.

I would invest in a Haynes, Motors, or Chilton manual, available at your local auto parts store. Using the manual, make sure that the shift selector mechanism on the exterior of the transmission and the throttle cable connection to the transmission are adjusted properly.

Reply to
Ray O

I mean that the transmission won't shift properly while I'm already in DRIVE. The problem is intermittent. It seems that earlier in the day, I'll have little to no problems with the transmission slipping or shifting. Then later on, it will constantly give me problems.

I do have a Chilton's manual for my vehicle. With the problem being intermittent (and pretty much only after several hours of driving), what could it be? The transmission was "rebuilt" last week and according to the people at the shop, it drove "perfectly" during test drive. However, I have had these issues since I brought it home from the shop.

Aga> > Hello there. I recently had a used transmission placed in my vehicle

Reply to
omnineko

Also, after receiving my car with the "rebuilt" transmission, I noticed that my brake light now turns as I begin to accelerate. Originally, the brake light would only turn on if I accelerated quickly and when it did turn on, it would turn off once the car shifted into fourth gear. Now, the brake light seems to turn on the moment I begin to accelerate and does not shut off until I am fully stopped.

I looked in my Chilton's manual but was unable to find a troubleshooting reference for this issue.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Reply to
omnineko

If the brake warning light on the instrument panel is coming on, open the hood and check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. It is probably low. If the brake fluid level is low, check the front brake pad or rear shoe lining thickness per the Chilton's manual. The friction material thickness should be at least 2 mm thick. If it is less, then they need replacement. If the lining material is satisfactory, then top off the brake fluid level in the reservoir.

Reply to
Ray O

An intermittent transmission problem is not likely to be an out-of adjustment cable or lever. A more likely cause is an internal problem. It could be as simple as a sticking shift solenoid or it could be something that requires teardown. Since the transmission was recently replaced, my recommendation would be to drive the car until the symptoms re-appear, then bring it back in to othe place that installed the transmission for evaluation.

Reply to
Ray O