Intermitant starting problem (2002 Tundra)

Occasionally, I have a problem where I hear a repeated clicking noise when I go to start the engine. Not a single click. And it isn't the same sound as when you try to start an engine that is already started, either :-)

After letting the car sit for a bit (anywhere from 1/2min to 10 min), I can start it as normal.

My guess is that the solenoid is pushing the gear to the flywheel (or maybe just not far enough), and that the starter gear isn't engaging with the flywheel. Battery voltage seem fine, and this happens only a coulpe of times per year. Maddening!

Any ideas? Experiences?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff7091

How do you know that the battery voltage seems fine? Did you measure with a meter? Check for loose connections at the battery posts, ground, and where the positive cable attaches to the starter.

Reply to
Ray O