is commercial available engine seal working?

Hi all,

My 2001 Corolla with 89K is leaking engine oil and I need to add about

1/2 Qt per week. I suspect that the engine gasket may be leaking. I am wondering whether by adding some commercial available engine leak-stop agent will stop the engine leak. Thanks. wm
Reply to
wenmang

The stop leak is for the cooling system, not the oil.

Don't use it in the oil, or your car won't make it to 89.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Stop leak" additives are not always effective and can sometimes clog internal passages. They should be a last resort.

The oil leaking under the transmission could indicate a rear main seal leak. First, check the bolts holding the valve cover to make sure they are snug but not cranked super tight. Do the same with the bolts holding the oil pan. Look for leaks where the valve cover and oil pan mate to the engine block. Wipe everything clean and look for fresh leaks after a week. If oil is dripping from the bottom of the transmission bell housing, then the rear main seal is suspect. If oil is leaking from the area under the timing belt/chain cover, camshaft and front crankshaft seals are suspect.

Reply to
Ray O

Your money would be better spent buying a lottery ticket. IMHO.

Reply to
user