Jiffy Lube again - topping off coolant

100 miles after "radiator service" (I think they replaced the coolant), I'm supposed to come in again to top off the coolant (free). I already noticed that its level is low. Is this normal after radiator service or should I suspect some scheme in progress?

P.S. Having recently seen MSNBC's expose on Jiffy Lube, I'll never go back there after this, but I suppose this radiator service needs to be completed.

Reply to
n.torrey.pines

Why would you go back to ANY mechanic to add a little coolant? That's like going to the dentist every day to get your teeth brushed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sometimes air can get trapped in the system, and then works it's way out through the overflow bottle, so they wanted to check to make sure it was full.

After I drained and filled my Mazda, I had to add coolant three times...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You could purchase some coolant and fill it yourself. It's easy, just add until the correct level is reached on the makeup/overflow can. About eighteen dollars a gallon (the pink stuff) at Toyota, or the universal spec at any mass merchandiser. Then you don't have to worry about Jiffy Lube.

Reply to
user

Its really easy but heck! You have already paid for it. So let them do it. Its like the AAA emergency assistance, I know how to change my tires when I get a blowout but since its part of their service I'll just wait for them to come. I mean emergency assistance is impt to me on towing but they would also bring you gas if you ran out, open your doors when you get locked out and change your tires.

Reply to
EdV

Often times, it takes a few engine heat cycles to purge all of the air from the cooling system. They serviced it, they are liable for any mistakes, if you return and let them do their follow up, then any future problems are their responsibility for whatever duration they stand behind their service. If you don't return for their follow up, they're off the hook and anything bad that happens can be excused because you didn't return for their follow up.

I get the same thing from my transmission wholesaler, they require that once I install a transmission, that I bring the vehicle to them so they can check the fluid, check the installation, etc. to validate the warranty.

Did they even use the right coolant?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Probably green Gatorade.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Great advice, but at the end of the day they will lie like a rug and deny all. Do yourself a favor. Buy some coolant and top it off yourself. Better yet, buy a manual and do your own basic maintenance and let the illegals they have working there go back to cutting lawns and roofing houses.

Reply to
NickySantoro